You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Advantages over Photoshop ?

Photoshop imo, as most of other image editing tools too, is way behind of need/ features  modern CG industry starves for.     Its 3d painting mode is just ridiculous.  Layer system is overcomplicated and quickly turns into a mess even a file author can't understand/find  a thing after a while.    Brushes are archaic.     16 and 32 bit modes are slow like hell.   

Almost every 3d soft did a huge progress during last decade , revolutionising  computer graphics , and only image soft  gone only through a very few cosmetic improvements.

Imo we don't need a Photoshop clone , we need something  new and better.   

• 4 weeks later...

Adobe only seems to innovate when they have stiff competition. (Except for innovating new ways to continually suck money out of our wallets for mere maintenance releases.)

Usually they purchase the competition and then stop improving their own program once the competition is gone. Case in point: Freehand. While it ran neck and neck with Illustrator, both programs saw continual improvement. Once they had it in their grasp, it was killed and Illustrator became pretty stagnant. There are still feature that Freehand had that have never been brought into Illustrator.

That's what makes Affinity so exciting. Its the first true competition Adobe has faced in some time. Hopefully they can resist the siren song of Adobe's acquisition lawyers....

• 6 months later...

New advantages I discovered:

Patch tool works better than Photoshop one in general. You can re-scale and rotate patch before applying. To bad not to mesh-deform it . Would be 100% perfect.

Hipass live filter  have Luminosity and other  blending modes.   As all  others filters too.   Helps a lot to keep layer stack not so overcomplicated with redundant layers and unreadable even for file creator,  as Photoshop one.  

You can even paint on a layer with live filter instantly.    Not after you open smart object first , then waiting forever when Photoshop save it if it's big 16 bit file.

Macro saves brush strokes  and has simpler and much more convenient  record/play interface than Photoshop actions. Too bad it can't execute the same strock with other brush or other nozzles at least.  

Would be super cool if we could paint some nozzles on one layer and then recreate same strokes on a layer representing depth or normal map or whatever propertie.  I asked such feature from Corel Painter for years but it never came

Mesh deform is much better in AP, even over silly "puppet wrap" . Probably best available in image editor.  Still nowhere close to what Blender or any other 3d soft would give you for mesh deforming:   multi vertex selection and editing. rotation around specified center and so on and on. I am still use Blender or 3d max  for mesh deforming images when need something precise.  

I am looking forward for what layer linking would be in AP.   It's where it's way behind Photoshop yet

• 2 months later...

Ie: Rental Only

It's not just about the money. If I stop paying adobe, my copy of photoshop stops functioning. I can't edit my files anymore. If they decide for some ungodly reason to discontinue photoshop, I can't ever open my files again. If they decide to raise the price and I can't pay, I can never open my old files again. It's about control, rental only means they have complete control over my data.

If they had a system where if I had to stop paying, I could keep the last copy of photoshop I had, that would be fine.

Please affinity, never go rental only. It'll go a long way to switch people over!

- Neil

Ie: Rental Only

It's not just about the money. If I stop paying adobe, my copy of photoshop stops functioning. I can't edit my files anymore. If they decide for some ungodly reason to discontinue photoshop, I can't ever open my files again. If they decide to raise the price and I can't pay, I can never open my old files again. It's about control, rental only means they have complete control over my data.

If they had a system where if I had to stop paying, I could keep the last copy of photoshop I had, that would be fine.

Please affinity, never go rental only. It'll go a long way to switch people over!

- Neil

Ditto! I first bought PS CS5 for college. Got the whole suite, and now, the only thing I use consistently is PS. But, I'm afraid that will go if Adobe no longer supports it, and it starts getting buggy.

Affinity, you ROCK! THANK you for helping me to NOT have to "upgrade" to PS CC!!!

• 1 month later...

Discovered one more super cool APhoto advantage over Photoshop.   Embedded images being replaced with equal form factor but higher ress images stay same size.    So helpful when you do a composition of quickly rendered elements, done in smaller resolution, and then want to replace them with final hi-ress ones.  Inability  to keep the size of smart objects is what have always drove me crazy in Photoshop.  Photoline has same problem too. 

Please Affinity, do that "layers linking" or any way to make special  transform links in between layers.    It's only thing that keeps AP from being a great image composer.

Do it in Designer if your prefer and I will buy Designer windows version. 

It's not just about the money. If I stop paying adobe, my copy of photoshop stops functioning. 

Like your phone contract.

And your water supply.

And your gas and electricity.

And your internet access.

What are you doing abut them, then?

If they decide for some ungodly reason to discontinue photoshop, I can't ever open my files again

Oh, nonsense. Does PhotoShop lock your files do that no other software can access them?

Keith Reeder

Like your phone contract.

And your water supply.

And your gas and electricity.

And your internet access.

What are you doing abut them, then?

Oh, nonsense. Does PhotoShop lock your files do that no other software can access them?

The rental model is something didn't exist before as originally the consumer who bought the software had an actual copy of it and unless the hardware/OS would become obsolete, the user could keep using that copy virtually forever.

Water, gas, it's a different situation. It is a service being provided vs a product being purchased. When you step into a shop to buy something, you keep what you buy. If you rent say a car then, of course, you're not keeping the product.

As for the locking file problem, it is actually an issue because I'm not supposed to rely on third-party solutions in order to use Adobe's native files.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

Keith,

You are pretty bold but but don't seem to understand what the problem with Adobe's rental system actually is.

All of Adobe's native file formats are proprietary formats. Files in psd, ai, indd, aif ... format therefore are indeed locked.

Some of Adobe's numerous formats have gotten superficially documented over the years, other areas got somewhat reverse engineered

by third parties (lock-picked so to say).

In case a Photoshop-created psd has been saved with maximized compatibility on will retain the appearance, which sure is better than

nothing. But no third party app, including Affinity can open complex Photoshop files and retain it's all of its embedded file and

non-destructive features:  All embedded RAW files are gone, re-editable Liquify-Meshes are gone, as well as Perspective corrections

and so much more. An app called Photoline has reverse engineered a lot of filters and some types of Smart Objects – but in case the

Photoshop file contains a complex Illustrator Logo, one had to reverse engineer all non-destructive tools in Illustrator too.

So yeah, a lot of what makes up a native Photoshop file indeed is locked – and that is just looking at Photoshop.

Adobe's suite of products however was designed as an ecosystem, where most programs played extremely well with each other.

Indesign eats all what Photoshop as well as Illustrator create, the same is true for Adobe's Film-editing apps. Oviously the Indesign

file format is proprietary too, and those which Premiere and After- Effects use as well. One loses depending on the program all access

or at least qualified access, as soon as one lets a Creative Cloud contract run out.

Like your phone contract. And your water supply. And your gas and electricity. And your internet access.

For that reason you should already sense that there's actually a significant difference between a supply contract for electricity

and Internet or cars and complex authoring software which uses proprietary formats.

With Adobe's contract system Artists around the world lose access to their intellectual property, when they stop paying.

The same happens when Adobe decides to simply discontinue a product (and they have done this repeatedly in the past).

None of the contracts you mention may cause anyone similar problems.

Why are so many people on this site whining about, or comparing AP and AD to Adobe LR and Photoshop?  

This is a new set of programs just barely over a year old and the development is amazing.  Adobe has been in development for over 25 years (actually since February of 1990).  

I have been using AP almost since the beginning and everyday I learn something new that does just as good a job, or better.  There are so many videos to learn from, and if you watch some of the very sparse free adobe vids, you can discover how to do the same in AP.  

If you need this as a professional to do your work, I understand that, but don't come to this site and yap about AP's deficiency, try to help. Part of this site is devoted to development and there are so many people on board to try and make this software better.  

Have some faith in Affinity, and stop constantly trying to promote adobe's $hit.     

£8 UK for PhotoShop and Lightroom.

Divide by 2.

Hi Keith,

I wish I were a photographer... But I'm not.  :)

For my profession I need both PS and AI and there is no chance to have this combo other than grabbing the full subscription, that includes applications that I'm going to pay but I don't need at all... 

Why PS + AI option never appeared?

They are very sly...  ;)

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Well the rental price is about the price one would charge for two applications

One application 800€

For two years, then an upgrade becomes available

So 1600€/24 months

66€ per month

Now you might have had some upgrade pricing but you might also get discounts on the rental thing.

And adobes thinking like if they give you two applications they might just as well give you all (maybe you can do something with them at some point, but you would have never rented them from adobe anyway so they do not loose money). Pretty user friendly in my opinion.

PS LR bundle is cheaper because most photographers are amateurs and fhus short on cash.

Cheers

I know this, but doesn't fix the problem...

This principle is still unfair and tends to make some disciplines cheaper than other.

Assuming that a video maker uses 4 or maybe 5 applications of the full pack (Pr, Ae, Au, Sg, Ps) he obtains a "cheaper subscription" compared to a graphic designer/illustrator (who typically uses Ai and Ps). Am I wrong?

I'd be very happy if upgrades were real improvements and not mainly bug-fixes...

I started my subscription in 2012 and honestly still cannot see a real dramatic advantage of CC over my old CS6

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

well yeah your point regarding the unfairness is definitely valid 

yeah hm maybe that is the case but is also difficult to improve a tool that has been refined for so long...well I don´t have PS anymore so I can´t actually discuss this any further (I see some might argue PS actually got worse in some areas) than I did...

• 2 months later...

There is an App(DATE) for everything! - Welcome to the age of net based cloud computing, the next big hip IT thing after using sliced bread, where every software, service and pay model is decentralized (...in a far distant galaxy) and your personal sensible data lays on foreign planet storage servers. ;)

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I just did a speed test.

In Windows File Explorer if I right-click on an image file (tiff, 12784 x 3595, 91MB) and select 'Open with' Photoshop CC 2017 it takes 1m 53s to open.

If I do the same operation but 'Open with' Affinity Photo it takes 12s

I just did a speed test.

In Windows File Explorer if I right-click on an image file (tiff, 12784 x 3595, 91MB) and select 'Open with' Photoshop CC 2017 it takes 1m 53s to open.

If I do the same operation but 'Open with' Affinity Photo it takes 12s

Had you previously opened either PS or AD beforehand? Windows programs typically open much faster after their first opening.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Had you previously opened either PS or AD beforehand? Windows programs typically open much faster after their first opening.

Yeah, you're right. Unfair test. I'll try it again before I open either of them.

OK. Did a re-test - same image, same procedure but this time neither program has started since last reboot:

Photoshop CC 2017: 1m 36s

Affinity Photo: 47s

Any bunch of supplied plugins in either app loaded up too here? During an app startup, loading those in takes time too!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Photoshop CS6/ACR now won't process Sony .arw files from my RX100V (though it does cope with .arw from my A7R2). Photoshop/Lightroom CC is 10 pounds/month in the UK. Ach.

Why AP for me (a super-keen amateur photographer)? Some reasons:

• Excellent selection/layer/mask/blend mode non-destructive editing.
  • Genius blend ranges (blend-if killer).
  • Magical lighting tool.
  • All I need in luminance and colour edting.
  • Superb help system and training videos.
  • Lots of photoshop compatibility (also means magazine articles, youtube etc are easy to translate).
  • Dynamic company with responsive staff and regular updates. I feel more than a statistic.
  • Nik/Topaz compatibility.

Yet I am still currently still using Lightroom (purchased version, not rental) as front end because (a) reasonable browse facility, but more about ( b ) better lens corrections (esp. chromatic aberration) and better HDR merge. But then I switch to AP for general editing. When AP fix these I'll be a very happy bunny.

I'm currently building a presentation for photo clubs in my are (South Wales and vicinity) called 'Anything but Photoshop'). This means I've chewed through much of the competition. On1 comes second but is a very different animal. Affinity is the clear winner by a country mile.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

Any bunch of supplied plugins in either app loaded up too here? During an app startup, loading those in takes time too!

Both AF & PS have the Nik Collection installed - that's it, no others.