You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rendering issues when dragging objects

While I've come to expect a little 'tearing' when moving objects in the Affinity apps, I'm finding moving objects in Publisher currently seems to be worse than in Designer. I've attempted to capture the effect, but even in this video the tearing isn't as apparent as it is on my screen.

I'm running Publisher 1.10.5, macOS 12.4 on a 2021 14" M1 Pro with 32GB RAM. Given the specs of the machine, and the rendering performance improvements done for the 1.10 release I'm a little disappointed that these rendering artifacts (within the app only) are still so noticeable.

How much overflow text do you have hiding off the end of that text frame?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 hours ago, Bryan Rieger said:

Given the specs of the machine, and the rendering performance improvements done for the 1.10 release I'm a little disappointed that these rendering artifacts (within the app only) are still so noticeable.

Thank you for your topic, Brian. Specs have little to no impact on this behavior, unfortunately. This is just the way Affinity apps render the canvas, no matter how powerful your system is.

What they really need to do is to implement some kind of v-sync technology to sync all those random tiles before drawing whole visible portion of screen. We just need them all to "arrive" at the same time, preferrably under a 15 - 16ms time window. I can't believe this is an impossible task and a tough request. Hopefully, there will be some imporevements in future.

4 hours ago, Alex M said:

…specs have little to no impact on this behavior, unfortunately. This is just the way Affinity apps render the canvas, no matter how powerful your system is.

What they really need to do is to implement some kind of v-sync technology to sync all those random tiles before drawing whole visible portion of screen. We just need them all to "arrive" at the same time, preferrably under a 15 - 16ms time window. I can't believe this is an impossible task and a tough request. Hopefully, there will be some imporevements in future.

Update: In doing a few more tests (a single text box on a blank canvas/page), I just realized that the jittering/tearing is also just as prominent in both Designer and Photo as it is in Publisher.

I also decided to try the same test in Canva, Figma and Photopea (all browser-based apps) where moving objects around the artboard/canvas/page was flawless. No jittering, tearing, or performance issues at all. If these rendering issues are in fact down to the way Affinity apps render the canvas, that feels like a fundamental design flaw which leaves users with a glitchy/broken feeling experience—and does little to instil further confidence going forward. The only times I recall seeing rendering problems like these in other apps is when there were GPU driver or render pipeline issues.

The fact that Affinity apps are native, and yet browser-based apps are somehow capable of providing 'better performance' (at least from a user perspective) should be a cause for concern at Serif.

affinity is a 2D image suite, not a video editor. The temporary rendering artifacts are indeed based on the technology which allows to render the result of highly complex stacked live filters in almost real time (but not always below 16ms), by using (temporary) lower resolution mip maps. Comparing this to other Apps using different rendering approaches is a bit unfair. These App lack Affinity’s unique ability regarding live rendering of almost all filters and effects (few exceptions like hdr tone map. Fft denoise).

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

6 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Comparing this to other Apps using different rendering approaches is a bit unfair. These App lack Affinity’s unique ability regarding live rendering of almost all filters and effects (few exceptions like hdr tone map. Fft denoise).

That's a great point, but it's also moot for those users whose requirements are much less demanding. If simply moving text around the screen causes it to glitch/jitter when the vast majority of other apps do not, it's likely to have a somewhat negative influence on their experience and expectations going forward.