You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Trying to remove logo background and change color

Hi All,

I have a jpeg Image (logo) of a black heart and cross in drawn in black outline with a colored background. This is pur branded YouTube logo. To use on our bookline, I need to remove the background and make it transparent, then change the black logo image to white. If possible, I'd also like to covert this logo to curves or a PNG (before or after changing background?), for a better image quality. I will be reducing this logo to place on the back of a book cover, so I need the lines of the logo to remain thicker when scaling down. See image attached. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Image1.jpg

There are several options available

1. Use a third-party trace app
  2. Use Affinity's Pen Tool manually trace the shape to create your own curve.
  3. Use the Flood select tool and uncheck the contiguous option on the context bar that appears above the workspace, a single click should get you a good selection but this option will not give you a vector curve and Affinity cannot yet convert from Raster to vector.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The quick way... (Affinity Photo):

Select > Select Sampled Colour

Click on black logo (adjust tolerance as required)

Edit > Copy

File > New From Clipboard

Layer > Invert (to change it from black to white)

The professional way:

Recreate it as a vector file

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thank you firstdefense and Carl123! For my current project and the next couple, I'm willing to go the quick route, the logo is going to be less than 1". 

To firstdefense, if I use the Flood select tool option, which Affinity program would you recommend? I have all 3. Thanks again, I will try it both ways and see which works best.

Note: It will be quite a feat when Affinity cracks the egg of Easter to vector conversion!

If you are going the raster route I'd use Affinity Photo, try it out as it will give a good selection.

But I have vectorised it for you: heart cross.afdesign

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, DanM. said:

the egg of Easter to vector conversion

I’m guessing that was an autocorrect from ‘raster’ to ‘Easter’, but it’s too delicious to let it go without comment!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)