You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to run a batch job in AP for the first time and I'm seeing that I need to load in each image into the sources section. I have a folder with 98 images in it. Do I really need to load in all 98 images into this "Sources" area, or is there some way I can just select the folder they live in? You can choose a folder as the Output, why not the input? Please tell me I'm doing this wrong.

Thanks!!!

8 minutes ago, DannyBCreative said:

Do I really need to load in all 98 images into this "Sources" area, or is there some way I can just select the folder they live in?

Under MacOS selecting or dragging a folder into the sources panel sadly doesn't work! - Instead one really has to select all the 98 images in the file open dialog panel to load them in, or select all files in the finder and then drag them over to the "Sources area".

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 minute ago, v_kyr said:

Under MacOS selecting or dragging a folder into the sources panel sadly doesn't work! - Instead one really has to select all the 98 images in the file open dialog panel to load them in, or select all files in the finder and then drag them over to the "Sources area".

Every time I think AP is ready to take on the tasks of the "other application" I'm reminded of just how far it has to go to get there. Bummer!

Thank you for replying and confirming my suspicion and fear.

27 minutes ago, DannyBCreative said:

Every time I think AP is ready to take on the tasks of the "other application" I'm reminded of just how far it has to go to get there. Bummer!

Well, the "other application" is functionally & feature wise still "... in a galaxy far, far away" and it's no easy task to get there one day too.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

Well, the "other application" is functionally & feature wise still "... in a galaxy far, far away" and it's no easy task to get there one day too.

No doubt it takes time to improve code and build features. I give Serif and the Affinity team a ton of credit though. AP is significantly faster than "the other guy" and is improving every year. I just wish they'd use the other guy as a bit of a template in which to draw from. I want AP to work and replace the other guy in my workflow, but in many way it feels cheap and unrefined and I'm just frustrated because I know it could be so much better than, you know who.

3 hours ago, v_kyr said:

I have had zero luck trying to drag & drop files into the Sources area from Finder -- when I release the mouse button they all spring back into the Finder window.

However, using the "Add" button, I can open a folder & use the usual Mac conventions like CMD+A or shift clicking to select any or all of its files. In list view I can even select items from several folders at the same time.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

However, using the "Add" button, I can open a folder & use the usual Mac conventions like CMD+A or shift clicking to select any or all of its files.

The same applies on Windows. Once you click Add you have all the usual File Explorer shortcuts available to use in selecting the files.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The same applies on Windows. Once you click Add you have all the usual File Explorer shortcuts available to use in selecting the files.

What about dragging & dropping files and/or folders into the Sources area from a File Explorer window? Can you do either of those things in Windows?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

24 minutes ago, DannyBCreative said:

Anyone have issue with files being corrupted, or messed up after running a batch job?

I batched a resize macro of 100 images. Upon completion, I found several of my files to have missing pixel data from the image, i.e. large black squares where there should be actual image.

Perhaps turn off Parallel Processing, in the Batch Job dialog, or (on Windows) Hardware Acceleration in Preferences, Performance.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1