You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bleed is somewhat of a variable that could change based on the printing job and this could adversely affect a user's workflow since they are now forced to account for bleed on every inset of a text frame bordering bleeds within the whole project.

It would be great to have an option in the Text Frame panel that adds all 4 bleed values as insets using a single option "Add Bleed Insets" or similar.  This value would stack on top of the main Inset settings.

The benefit of this option would allow a user to change Bleed which is at the Project Setting level and have complete confidence that it won't be necessary to adjust many text frame insets settings in the project. Instead, the only required step is for the user to adjust their text frames height and width to border the new bleed. That's it, everything else would maintain its intended alignment.

Example:

As you can see in the screenshot below, the user has created a comfortable grid to work with. The inset settings they would naturally be inclined to use would be based on their grid, but the bleed is now forcing the user to adjust the Text Frame Insets to account for it.

The work involved (a little bit of arithmetic), for every edge of a text frame for how ever many text frames are found in the project make the transition to use another bleed setting for the project a daunting task.

If they had such a setting and applied it as they were adding text frames, then all they would have had to do is adjust the current text frame height or width and everything would be aligned as intended automatically.

image.png.e53a45484e7bf03bb43e63ebbe2ecad1.png

One last clarification:  Yes, only one option is needed, and when used all 4 bleeds are added as inset in the Text Frame. It's uncommon for bleed settings to be different across all four edges. Moreover, you will notice there are more options in the text frame panel for adjusting the relative height of a text such as baseline and vertical position but these would be supported by such a feature, not reduce their usability.

Bleed is paper that is trimmed off. I fail to see how that would affect the text frame. Not really sure what your "inset" would be.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@Old Bruce are you Serif tech support ? Not relevant, just curious.

Yes, bleed is paper that is trimmed off and used to make sure color bleed or lack thereof results in a good print. The text frame panel allows for fill color to apply on a text frame, I'm sure you know that by now. If a text frame with color is used to go into the bleed, than that text frame's inset must account for the bleed to improve alignment with other aspects of the software that facilitate a user's design and workflow like grids, rulers, margin guides, etc requiring the user to do the extra math on every edge of a text frame that borders a bleed.

To answer your question:  

The value is applied to each inset in the text frame when the option is toggled on/off including insets with a value of 0. It would work like this:  Left Inset + Left Bleed = new adjusted Left inset, Right Inset + Right Bleed = new adjusted Right inset, and so on.

You have a text frame and a coloured background. While we can use the text frame's fill property to colour the background for a situation like this I would use two separate objects. Save myself a lot of figuring out. I just have a text frame with zero offsets place where I want the text to be.

If  you are married to this idea then you could have the text frame with its coloured fill extend beyond the bleed so when you change it (as per your first post) the insets won't need to be changed.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

26 minutes ago, GarryP said:

You can tell which forum members work for Serif by looking for a little “Staff” badge below their forum avatar

Not there on my mobile phone but the word "Moderators" is

Plus, all posts from Serif staff, inside a thread, have a black stroke and shading around them both on mobiles and desktops (Windows)

So, relatively easy to spot when scrolling

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

39 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

You have a text frame and a coloured background. While we can use the text frame's fill property to colour the background for a situation like this I would use two separate objects. Save myself a lot of figuring out. I just have a text frame with zero offsets place where I want the text to be.

If  you are married to this idea then you could have the text frame with its coloured fill extend beyond the bleed so when you change it (as per your first post) the insets won't need to be changed.

I was thinking the same thing. Scratching my head while reading what he is trying to do. I rarely ever fill a text box with colour, I keep it simply with the text and the text colour. If I want a colour behind the text then I make a box with the colour I want, each are individual pieces. Once set you can group them so you don't accidentally move one piece and not the other. I think the request my be over thinking things and a simple change in work flow might in the end be more beneficial. Unless of course I am missing some other reason you would want to fill the text box. 

Thanks for pointing out the Staff badge. Goes to show I'm not here on here much.

No I definitely I'm not married to this idea!  There are different ways to accomplish things, and sometimes keeping things rudimentary remains the best course of action. I work for a software company and telling customers that databases don't work like the human brain is a common response but you can't blame people for venturing to cut corners.