You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Struggeling with exporting area (AD)

I'm trying to export the area of a selection. Until now I never had a problem with this topic but for some reason I canÄt get it to work as expected this time.

As you can clearly see  in the picture I selected the object I want to export. But when choosing "Selected Area" you can see in the dimensions that it still is exporting the whole document. The selected area is square. I'm pretty sure it's a problem between my ears ... but have no clue what could cause this behaviour. It actually makes no difference if I choose "selected area" or "selection" - still wants to export the whole document.

Any ideas?

Designer_h2XqVyo3QS.thumb.png.8e02f00af5d0f9e5501efc935b2f1e31.png

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

It's not really visable from your screenshot there what the document dimensions vs the selected area dimensions are. So you may want to share a whole ADe screenshot which also shows the layers panel and transformation panel etc., or instead share that Affinity ADe file, so people can see if the problem you decribe is somehow reproducable.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

If I do that as a simple setup via an FX glow ...

test-screenshot.jpg.801c58e6940a897b7fc1865840d64e9b.jpg

... there will be slightly more be exported (see the preview panel) than just the shown up selection, which in turn migh be due to the applied FX style boundaries. - I've used instead PNG here as an export format ...

test.png.fe8b94195711b27a0adf2fdc4166456a.png

... though the initial setup document size is still much huger than what is exported as a selection then (see above shown just selection export)!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

1 minute ago, DarkClown said:

Yep ... that's what I used to know and what I did expect. But I guess it might be related to the clipping mask I used to limit the original size.

Maybe, since the mask layer might then be a full doc sized dimension layer in your case. - You have to tryout how the selected dimension would be, when disabling and not taking that mask into account at all, aka if that makes the difference then here.

• Staff
Just now, DarkClown said:

But I guess it might be related to the clipping mask I used to limit the original size.

I can confirm that it is the cropped group causing the issue, attempting to export a cropped group will ignore the crop shape on the group and will export the entire selection. This issue is currently logged with the developers for resolution.

Thanks for confirming. Quite surprising that this fairly common issue comes up after all the time the product has been in the market. For the time being i'll find a workaround. 

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

This topic is still quite confusing – and *the difference of "Selection Area" and "Selection only" is nowhere explained (afaik) it would help tremendously if there was a help in form of a tool tip or similar.

*I found it out by trying, but it should be documented (in a way one can find the information).

• Staff
7 minutes ago, abra100pro said:

This topic is still quite confusing – and I searched everywhere for an explanation of the difference of "Selection Area" and "Selection only" – can someone enlighten me on that?

It looks like selection area will try and include all layers within the selected area's bounding boxes, whilst selection only will only export the currently selected layer.

Below is the result when i've exported with 'Selection Area' which has exported the highlighted '2' group layer along with the grey background layer which was also within the bounding boxes.

image.png

Below is the result when i've exported with 'Selection Only' with the '2' group layer highlighted, my grey background layer is not present.

image.png

8 minutes ago, abra100pro said:

... and *the difference of "Selection Area" and "Selection only" is nowhere explained (afaik) ...

It's only halfway documented in a very short form, the way you did -by try out- is probably the best to get the idea about those.

To export a design as an image:
  1. From the File menu, select Export.
  2. Adjust the settings in the dialog.
  3. (Optional) If one or more layers is selected, the exported file can be trimmed to their boundary by setting Area to Selection Area or Selection Only, which include or exclude all other layers from the output, respectively.
  4. Click Export.

Area—instead of exporting the whole page, you can export the currently selected layer content, with or without other (deselected) layers, using the 'Selection Area' or 'Selection Only' options.

I found out this:

With the artboard looking like this:

image.png.fa165cc1677dd3a58d6e1e117bc2b038.png

I selected this frame with no colour for border or fill and chose "Selection area" – this allowed me to export exactly everything that is within the selected form in a rectangle (of course, when the form would be a star the result would still be a rectangle):

image.png.8e3c70fc7aec10b22cfe6bd09e5829b3.png

When I select the red rounded rectangle with a border the results look like this:

Selection area:

image.png.324e01bc63b92b0b3ff9e57413b4f5a6.png

Selection only (with transparent corners outside the border):

image.png.81c917632f9e53c3f3f0d45cf1091f60.png

This is very helpful. Serif: If you find this sample valuable enough you could add this to the documentation. It'd really help to have the idea.