You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

As above, I installed a font called Joan, realised it was the wrong one, uninstalled it and then found the font I actually wanted, this one called JOAN (In caps), but now ALL Affinity apps will not render that font correctly, it's just being displayed as Arial.

All other apps on my system render the font correctly and if I open the font in the Windows Font folder, it displays correctly too.

What can I do to fix this??

Where did you find the font?

What kind of font is it? The Affinity applications support only standard Static fonts, not Variable fonts, nor SVG fonts, nor (most) Color fonts.

Did you close and reopen the Affinity application after installing the font?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It's a standard TTF font, I found it as part of a pack I got ages ago, but another pack had a font called Joan too, but it was different.

I have tried closing and opening, uninstalling and reinstalling, rebooting, uninstalling the font and putting it back.  Like I said, all other apps on my system render it correctly. My system is a fairly new Windows 11 install. 

6 minutes ago, Daniel Warner said:

I have tried closing and opening, uninstalling and reinstalling, rebooting, uninstalling the font and putting it back.

Instead of uninstalling and reinstalling either before or after rebooting your machine, try uninstalling and rebooting before reinstalling. This should ensure that the font is completely cleared from your font cache before the reinstallation attempt.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Daniel Warner said:

It's a standard TTF font, I found it as part of a pack I got ages ago,

If it's a very old font (Postscript type 1, perhaps) it may not be supported in Affinity.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, Daniel Warner said:

this one called JOAN (In caps), but now ALL Affinity apps will not render that font correctly, it's just being displayed as Arial.

IIRC enStep was one of the companies who bundled converted Type 1 fonts, and they had a habit of using all caps for the font names.
If this is the JOAN font I suspect, it has the old encoding and is a pre-Unicode font.
So the characters are not encoded where expected and so you see a fallback font (Arial).

Here is a quick conversion to Unicode: JoanAF-Regular.zip

Note: these converted Type 1 fonts are really old (1998), are limited to less that 256 characters, often have no kerning at all, and have no OpenType features.

1 hour ago, LibreTraining said:

IIRC enStep was one of the companies who bundled converted Type 1 fonts, and they had a habit of using all caps for the font names.
If this is the JOAN font I suspect, it has the old encoding and is a pre-Unicode font.
So the characters are not encoded where expected and so you see a fallback font (Arial).

Here is a quick conversion to Unicode: JoanAF-Regular.zip

Note: these converted Type 1 fonts are really old (1998), are limited to less that 256 characters, often have no kerning at all, and have no OpenType features.

Thank you, that worked!  The weird thing is, I created a file with this font in my previous windows installation and it worked then so don't know why it isn't working now. Oh well, the font you included works now so that's all that matters. 

Thanks everyone for your help.