You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Greetings, i am creating a small booklet in Publisher.  My problem?  When i print the pages double sided, the back side prints "upside down" - no matter what i try to do (short of rotating the back 180 degrees.   Any idea as to why its doing this?

Thanks for any help!

Examples, screenshots, even the file will help more, also what printer you have and on which Operating System.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, safoster71 said:

short of rotating the back 180 degrees

Why not just rotate the back 180 degrees! How you do double sided printing will depend on the capabilities of your printer!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, safoster71 said:

When i print the pages double sided, the back side prints "upside down" - no matter what i try to do (short of rotating the back 180 degrees.

Does your printer driver have/offer finer grade settings for double side printing?  - What printer (manufactor + model) do you use?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

12 hours ago, safoster71 said:

Greetings, i am creating a small booklet in Publisher.  My problem?  When i print the pages double sided, the back side prints "upside down" - no matter what i try to do (short of rotating the back 180 degrees.   Any idea as to why its doing this?

Thanks for any help!

In the double sided printing option there will be a long side / short side setting. Choose the one that is not selected.

• 1 month later...

I've been struggling with this problem too with my Epson XP 900 printer, didn't make any difference what the setting was and it happened in Word documents as well as Affinity. I contacted Epson and apparently it was due to using a "generic" driver (although it was Epson), I was given a link to a new driver which once installed prints documents correctly. 🙂

• 3 months later...

Version 1 does this exceptionally well, however, I have been printing booklets on a finishing printer (folds and staples), this morning with version 2 and no matter what I select in the Publisher print options, flip short side or long side, the second and subsequent even pages all print upside down.  I have tried printing the same document several times and it fails to print the even pages correctly. So, I went back to version 1 and using a PDF copy of the same document, loaded into Publisher (cant load version 2 .afpub documents, into v1) I tried it again with the same settings as previous and it worked correctly.  I have been using the same printer driver and printer settings for ages without a problem.  Today however, using the same printer settings and v2, I could not get even pages to print out correctly. I am using Windows 11 and a Konica Minolta i300C printer with a finishing module.  I also tried a simple double sided print out of a two page document and again it failed to print the even page the right way round.

On 6/19/2022 at 5:27 AM, PaulEC said:

Why not just rotate the back 180 degrees! How you do double sided printing will depend on the capabilities of your printer!

Not a very practical solution, especially if, like me, you are printing 150 page technical documents.  This is an issue that needs addressing.

4 hours ago, AnaliseThis said:

Not a very practical solution, especially if, like me, you are printing 150 page technical documents.  This is an issue that needs addressing.

But quite practical for a "small booklet" which was the subject of the original post! 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• 3 months later...

I am experiencing duplex printing issues using HP's universal print driver (both PCL and PS) which is the only driver they provide now. Affinity does not set duplex for long edge at all and when short edge is selected it sets the driver to long edge resulting in 180° rotation.

This occurs both in v1 and v2 for me using this driver.

There are other anomalous printing behaviors by Affinity when using the HP universal driver as well which I am generally able to work around.

I do not have these issues using the same driver in InDesign.

4 hours ago, Chris_06 said:

I do not have these issues using the same driver in InDesign.

And considering the nearly non-existent concern by Serif for wide ranging bugs, we are seriously considering moving back to InDesign. You get what you pay for as they say.