You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

photo cropping canvas vs image

• Staff
15 hours ago, ahnay said:

i was going to ask how you resize an image then if you couldnt trim off all the blank space.  The systems sees the blank space in the size so you cant just type in dimensions. 

If you wish to crop in this manner, you'll need to use vector masking and the Transform Studio. I've attached a quick screen recording of this below -

This ensures that only the layer is cropped, rather than the canvas.

15 hours ago, ahnay said:

So to crop you have to go into design, and then come back to photo with that? 

This can all be done in Affinity Photo, and does not require Designer :) 

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

6 hours ago, Ron P. said:

If you want to resize a layer (which can be an image), resize it using the move tool. Once you have it resized, then right-click on the layer and select, Rasterize and Trim.

Yes I get it Walt. I should have continued, or instead mentioned using a shape on a layer. Main point is, images can be cropped in AP.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

LOL, yeah lets see, lets make it more difficult to crop an image, in a photo editing program, for some obscure reason.  So basically, this was designed not for normal use, but for someone who wanted this feature, and they just turned it into photo. lol.  what a joke.  So wish i could return this crap.  Software is useless if you cant just crop things as you go and not crop the canvas? why on earth would anyone do that?  oh.. i see, its in the designer, so now you have to buy it too.  or vise versa.  and do what? go back and forth and waste precious time?  Just because you want more money!  No thank you.  this is the mindset that has destroyed out planet!  I will never purchase from serif again.  They used to be so much better than this.   sorry i digress.  I cant even find a simple tutorial for stroking an image, lol.  Not for shapes, not for text, not for people, just stroke the image!  lol.  ok back to gimp it never fails me.

11 hours ago, Ron P. said:

It's not difficult at all. Yes you can crop in Photo, you do not need to go into Designer for that function. I think you're trying to use Serif's products as they are Adobe's. To use them, you need to re-train your brain, ie; learn the programs. Serif's do a lot of, maybe even most, of what Adobe's do, just use a different method to get there.

Crop an image in Affinity Photo.

Online Help Crop Tool, Cropping & Straightening

Serif Affinity Photo Tutorials Cropping

YouTube Tutorials for Affinity Photo Cropping

Finally as stated before, Cropping in Photo is non-destructive, until you trim it, thus the Rasterize and trim. If you want to resize a layer (which can be an image), resize it using the move tool. Once you have it resized, then right-click on the layer and select, Rasterize and Trim.

No, you can work on numerous images. You can use File>Place menu option to import/place images, each as a separate layer, into a single document.

Nope havent used adobe for years, do still have the old one on a different computer. lol.  I use the open source Gimp mostly now and inkscape.

5 minutes ago, ahnay said:

Software is useless if you cant just crop things as you go and not crop the canvas?

2 minutes ago, ahnay said:

Nope havent used adobe for years,

I've got my trusty Photoshop CS6 and can't see how to make the OP desire happen there. The crop tool, for me, has always manipulated the entire canvas size. If I needed multiple images in a document that need to be "cropped", I used clipping paths in AI or frames in ID.

I find Affinity's method of nesting/masking/clipping quite versatile.

8 minutes ago, ahnay said:

Software is useless if you cant just crop things as you go and not crop the canvas? why on earth would anyone do that?  oh.. i see, its in the designer, so now you have to buy it too.

Already asked and answered:

4 hours ago, Dan C said:

If you wish to crop in this manner, you'll need to use vector masking and the Transform Studio. I've attached a quick screen recording of this below -

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 hours ago, Dan C said:

Thank you.. so it can be any color?  ill have to try this.  Its acting as a mask?  To resize it again, can you resize that rectangle again? or delete and start it over?  I will experiment when i have time.  

3 minutes ago, ahnay said:

Thank you.. so it can be any color?  ill have to try this.  Its acting as a mask?  To resize it again, can you resize that rectangle again? or delete and start it over?  I will experiment when i have time.  

To resize just make certain that the rectangle is the only layer selected then resize and move with the Move tool (the Arrow).

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

20 minutes ago, ahnay said:

lets make it more difficult to crop an image, in a photo editing program, for some obscure reason.  So basically, this was designed not for normal use,

For most photographers, I think, the image is the canvas. They start out Opening their image, and it fills the canvas. They then crop that image/canvas, which is exactly what the Crop Tool in Photo is designed to do.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

For most photographers, I think, the image is the canvas. They start out Opening their image, and it fills the canvas. They then crop that image/canvas, which is exactly what the Crop Tool in Photo is designed to do.

lol, interesting.  I understand what you are saying, but photo isnt just directed to photographers in the adverts for it.  If you watch the tuts for it there are many other uses implied.  It should just crop the image!  I mean its simple. if it wants to crop the canvas, make that on option.  Easy.  

1 hour ago, ahnay said:

lol, interesting.  I understand what you are saying, but photo isnt just directed to photographers in the adverts for it.  If you watch the tuts for it there are many other uses implied.  It should just crop the image!  I mean its simple. if it wants to crop the canvas, make that on option.  Easy.  

Photo is a tool for manipulating images. Cropping removes unwanted parts of the image.

Now, if you want to replace unwanted parts with transparent areas or white, that is another function. Not too hard either.

2 hours ago, ahnay said:

It should just crop the image!  I mean its simple. if it wants to crop the canvas, make that on option.  Easy.  

Sorry, but in my opinion the Crop Tool does what it should.

There are other methods of doing what you want. Users need to learn the application, and the tools/methods it provides. Different documents, and different modes of working, may require different approaches from the user.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

21 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Sorry, but in my opinion the Crop Tool does what it should.

There are other methods of doing what you want. Users need to learn the application, and the tools/methods it provides. Different documents, and different modes of working, may require different approaches from the user.

lol, agree to disagree!  I understand, but watch the videos that market this product.. its not just for photographers, lol. what a small world that would be.  Not saying there are not a lot of photographers. ;)

14 minutes ago, ahnay said:

but watch the videos that market this product..

I have. The ones for Photo describe Cropping of the canvas. The ones for Designer describe a Crop Tool that works differently.

15 minutes ago, ahnay said:

its not just for photographers

No, it's not. But Photo is primarily for photographers, and its Crop Tool is optimized for an expected workflow of Opening images and working on them.

Designer is intended to suit different workflows, so its Crop Tool works differently.

But some of the same methods (vector clipping) work in both applications, so you just need to learn what tools the application you're using provides, and how to use them. Vector Cropping with rectangles is quite simple in Photo, if that's the application and if your workflow needs it, though slightly more complex than in Designer.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, ahnay said:

I understand, but watch the videos that market this product..

Which product & which videos are you talking about?

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Users need to learn the application, and the tools/methods it provides.

Isn't that true for every app?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Isn't that true for every app?

I think so, but some users seem to think everything should just work the way they're used to it working in a different application.

-- Walt
PC:

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I have. The ones for Photo describe Cropping of the canvas. The ones for Designer describe a Crop Tool that works differently.

No, it's not. But Photo is primarily for photographers, and its Crop Tool is optimized for an expected workflow of Opening images and working on them.

Designer is intended to suit different workflows, so its Crop Tool works differently.

But some of the same methods (vector clipping) work in both applications, so you just need to learn what tools the application you're using provides, and how to use them. Vector Cropping with rectangles is quite simple in Photo, if that's the application and if your workflow needs it, though slightly more complex than in Designer.

lmao, photo is not sold as primarily for photographers.  wow, so you cant agree to disagree, thats why the world is suffering.  I dont know many photographers that paint and make patterns on their photos for posterity.  I do know some that sell their wares and want to change the lighting, crop parts out, maybe add in some drama, none of which use the brushes and artistic tools in photo.  You really need to expand, open up your world.  Although since you cant agree to disagree, i suspect you will never do that.  Sad.  so much more out there than you see.

2 hours ago, ahnay said:

The tutorials for this on this site

There are 3 Affinity apps, each with their own set of tutorials, but like tutorials for other apps they are not for marketing purposes.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

10 hours ago, ahnay said:

yes they are 😃 

Can you include a link to one or more of the Affinity tutorial videos that you think were created as marketing tools; & explain why you think they are, like what specifically do you think they are promoting, other than how to use one of the Affinity apps?

In particular, which of them suggests you can crop the canvas or an image in it in some way other than has already been mentioned?

Affinity Photo 

what? i dont have time to go through all the vids?  you go through them.  The cropping issue? is mute.  Look up the definition of 'crop' and its relation to images.  Its pretty simple in every one's world but serif, and dont you think its interesting that you can crop in design and not crop the canvas, and not in photo? yeah, after the coins, lol.   whatever, i have the software.  Nothing i can do now except tell everyone i meet or who asks me what i think the truth. Large followings on Fb, instagram etc. I should have googled it first and read others comments but, having purchase serif software for years, and trusting them, i did not.  shrugs.  enough said. 😃

I really don’t understand why moderators and forum users feed this troll with attention and replies. All he she seems to want is to rant about Serif products and get as much attention as possible. The actual topic (cropping of layers and how Affinity differs from other apps) has been discussed in epic depth and breadth in numerous older threads. I’m really getting annoyed by the repeated lol, crap, junk, joke attributes used by OP wrt to Affinity products.

Of course, I update my ignore list, but as valued members continue to reply this thread always pop up again for me.

This is my first and last post in this matter.

Edited by NotMyFault

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.