You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi everyone,

I wanted to know if there is a way to lock how much burn/dodge you can apply to the image.

I am fairly new to editing and just watched the dodge/burn brush tutorial. However, when I try to use the brush and I (accidentally) go over the same spot, it just gets lighter and lighter.

Is there a way to stop that from happening? Ideally, I want to set how light I want it to go and not go any lighter than that, even if I brush over it.

Hope this makes sense :)

Thanks!

2 hours ago, VixFromThe6ix said:

I wanted to know if there is a way to lock how much burn/dodge you can apply to the image.
I am fairly new to editing and just watched the dodge/burn brush tutorial. However, when I try to use the brush and I (accidentally) go over the same spot, it just gets lighter and lighter.

Is there a way to stop that from happening? Ideally, I want to set how light I want it to go and not go any lighter than that, even if I brush over it.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

AFAIK there isn't any such direct locking mechanism you're after, the only thing you can do is, deciding on your own if what you applied so far is enough and then setting yourself the opacity setting to 0% ("Opacity: 0%"), since then any further brushing shouldn't have anymore an effect.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Generally I don't use Dodge and Burn tools for dodging and burning.  I find using curves adjustment layers (and painting directly on the layer masks with a soft brush set to a low flow) a more flexible method for dodging and burning; and it will allow you to set a maximum amount that you want to dodge/burn using the curve adjustment.

The masks can be edited afterwards using a black or white brush.  The amount of dodge and burn can also be edited afterwards by adjusting the curve in the curves adjustment layer.

If you record the steps for creating the dodge and burn layers with a macro, you can save it to the macro library to use on other documents.  See below video.

Thabk you 

On 6/16/2022 at 6:22 PM, - S - said:

Generally I don't use Dodge and Burn tools for dodging and burning.  I find using curves adjustment layers (and painting directly on the layer masks with a soft brush set to a low flow) a more flexible method for dodging and burning; and it will allow you to set a maximum amount that you want to dodge/burn using the curve adjustment.

The masks can be edited afterwards using a black or white brush.  The amount of dodge and burn can also be edited afterwards by adjusting the curve in the curves adjustment layer.

If you record the steps for creating the dodge and burn layers with a macro, you can save it to the macro library to use on other documents.  See below video.

Thank you for your reply. Wow this is a bit advance for me. I have not touched macros at all yet. 

My question stemmed from these kind of photos. And how bright and vibrant they seem to be. I want to be able to make my photos look like this and I really thought it's the dodge burn and sponge tool combination. Along with maybe some orange tone editing. However I then ran into an issue I posted about :)

(BTW wish there was orange in HSL)

any advice ?

Screenshot_20220618-133215_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20220616-115348_Instagram.jpg

On 6/16/2022 at 4:02 PM, v_kyr said:

Hi and welcome to the forum!

AFAIK there isn't any such direct locking mechanism you're after, the only thing you can do is, deciding on your own if what you applied so far is enough and then setting yourself the opacity setting to 0% ("Opacity: 0%"), since then any further brushing shouldn't have anymore an effect.

Thank you! After playing around with it I answered my own question. :) it's unfortunate because it's a great simple tool to lighten an area. Maybe there are other ways but I'm not yet advanced enough to know what it is...