You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Further to my previous thread on Logo's  For which I received great help  I now need to know if I can remove the background from a jpeg image to become transparent.  Some of my logos that I have are in jpeg format and I need to convert them to png with a transparent background. Is this possible in Affinity ?  I know of a website called "Free convert " that will do it but I would prefer to learn how to do it myself.  Hopefully it will be possible in Affinity.

regards, Raymond.

If you can give us an example image and tell us what you consider to be 'background' then we should be able to give you various answers.
(You can upload a low-res copy of the image if you don’t want to upload the real thing, as long as we get the idea.)

19 minutes ago, Ray 2 said:

Further to my previous thread on Logo's  For which I received great help  I now need to know if I can remove the background from a jpeg image to become transparent.  Some of my logos that I have are in jpeg format and I need to convert them to png with a transparent background. Is this possible in Affinity ?  I know of a website called "Free convert " that will do it but I would prefer to learn how to do it myself.  Hopefully it will be possible in Affinity.

regards, Raymond.

The difference betwen jpg and png is, that jpg is a lossy format that cannot contain transparency, while png is a lossless format that can store transparency.

Jpg produces smaller filesizes but everytime you edit a jpg and export as jpg, quality is lost.

Removing the background of an image is a classic graphics design problem, with tons of different techniques.

For text or a logo, you might want to try the selection brush with the refine edges feature.

Techniques like the Magic Wand Tool usually produce ugly aliased edges ("stairs").

If your logo or text is simple, you can also trace it with the Pen Tool, but that takes practice.

From a quick look  "Free convert" converts file types, it doesn't remove backgrounds.

How you remove the existing background, to create the transparent background, will depend very much on how complex it is. It's much easier to remove a simple, plain background, with a good contrast to the main subject, than it is with a background with shapes and patterns or that is similar to the subject. It doesn't really matter what the file type is when you open it in AP, you can just save (actually "export" it) as a png in order to keep the transparency.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

22 minutes ago, Ray 2 said:

... I now need to know if I can remove the background from a jpeg image to become transparent. Some of my logos that I have are in jpeg format and I need to convert them to png with a transparent background. Is this possible in Affinity ?

Depends on what the background looks like on those JPG files, if it's just a constant filled background color the logos are placed on it's an easy task to do. - Other than that you can always create a new document with a transparent background (tick/enable that option on when creating a new document) in APh, place your logos (...ideally as vectors, as I've shown in your other thread) and then save/export the whole as PNG.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

There are already vector (and transparent PNG) versions of that sample logo, which you can place on a a APh document with transparent background and then export as PNG.

thyssen-vector.jpg.b93ad5d4b402775eb2eeeb8f406ebf0f.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

I would do a search for that logo in vector format.

hint : check wikipedia. They have a lovely  SVG version on the thyssenkrupp page.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Many thanks to all the folks on this wonderful forum  The help provided is invaluable to me.  My background is in Engineering design using Mcad software [ Siemens Solid Edge and Siemens NX ] also Substance Designer and Substance Painter  with some 3DS Max thrown in.  I have previously only needed Affinity Photo for simple adjustments. But now I feel I must use it more often even if only how to learn to do some more advanced tasks.  This certainly is a great forum so very helpful and knowledgeable. I dare say during my learning curve there will be many more question forth coming😂

Many thanks.

Let's show also one other quick way, so no thyssenkrupp vector file usage, but instead dealing with your pixel/raster JPG image of that one. Note however that there are a bunch of different possible ways to get rid of (delete/remove) the blue background here, as there are ...

• Using the magic wand tool (Zauberstab for selections) and then hit delete
  • Selecting by the blue color range
  • Using the erase brush
  • ... etc.

I show here just one way to select the blue background and get rid of that by using the magic wand tool ...

... as you can see parts on the logo + text pixels will need and have to be additionally fine tuned here afterwards in order to remove all blue left over color pixels!

So the best is always to use vectors instead of pixels/raster images for logos and the like, since as I already said in the other thread, vectors ease the overall resizing/recoloring tasks. And you then finally can export as the PNG file the size you want. - Or in case of usage on a website (the logo presentation) you can keep it as SVG vectors on export and include those SVG vectors then instead of a PNG image to a website.

Or...

Select > Select Sampled Colour

Adjust tolerance, hit Apply then Delete

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.