You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello folks,  I dont use any photo editing software very much just for some minor adjustments, so could anyone tell me how to make the Blue area of the attached logo into White.  I need it to display as White when used in Substance Painter.  I have my fully licensed copy of Affinity on my machine. [The attached logos are in PNG format ]

Cheers,

Raymond.

chep-logo-png-transparent.png

chep-logo.png

@Ray 2 As an alternative, which might be more handy, is to keep the logo as vectors (curves) also in APh. This way it's overall easier to modify (resize, recolor etc.) and reuse it at all.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

22 minutes ago, Ray 2 said:

ESPR, Thanks for the suggestion, now looks like I now have at least 3 way to achieve the desired results. 

Many thanks.

In my opinion having a vector is always the best solution.

I would not recommend the Flood Fill Tool as it produces aliased edges ("stairs").

The Recolour adjustment is a good technique but doesnt produce specific colors easily, other than white or black, while the Color Overlay fx preserves antialiasing, but requires transparency.

41 minutes ago, Ray 2 said:

ESPR, Thanks for the suggestion, now looks like I now have at least 3 way to achieve the desired results. 

One more workaround: If you use the logo image in a CMYK layout document you can colourize it easily in 2 steps:

Activate "K Only" –> Apply a fill colour.

This works best with with a black logo because then "K Only" can cause 100% of any colour (different to the reduced black part in your blue version).

If the black logo is saved as Grayscale image you even don't need to press "K Only".

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I always enjoy the "self-masking" technique for logos that are a solid color.

• "Rasterize to Mask" the original logo art
• Mask it to a white pixel layer
• Levels adjustment set to Alpha to get a true white (or transparency if that's what you need)
• extra color background just helps show the result

269452800_ScreenShot2022-06-16at12_59_32PM.thumb.png.4172dd747858e4f9235e76bfe6cfd143.png

v_kyr,   Been watching the video again  what would be the process for Curves ? is the curves on a new layer ?   what would be the workflow for using curves,  Once I have me logo open in APH.

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Ray 2 said:

v_kyr,   Been watching the video again  what would be the process for Curves ? is the curves on a new layer ?   what would be the workflow for using curves, 

Curves means tracing witht the Pen Tool.

4 hours ago, Ray 2 said:

v_kyr,   Been watching the video again  what would be the process for Curves ? is the curves on a new layer ?   what would be the workflow for using curves,  Once I have me logo open in APH.

As @ESPR said, working with the vector tools here then. Either manual hand tracing with the Pen tool and adjusting with the Node tool, or as an alternative for quicker turnarounds tracing a bitmap/raster image via a bitmap-to-vector tracer and reusing the PDF/SVG generated by that one.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2