You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Page length varies

I've typeset a book, but the page length varies. Sometimes there are 3 additional lines which should have text in them, and yet they are left blank. If I backspace to try and fill them it doesn't work. Just crowds it onto the final line. It makes no sense to me, I've done every Google search and watched umpteen Youtubes on it, but I can't find a setting or answer that relates to my query.

Are any of you  typesetting Affinity Publisher angels able to answer this for me?
The image shows how there is room for 2-3 more lines, and as it's not a paragraph change, text should just lead on from here. 
Thank you.

page length issue.jpg

Welcome to the forums @Lintrezza

I think this is most likely something to do with the Flow Options, see attached image.
Can you check those first?
Or you can use menu “Text → Show Special Characters” and see if there is a ‘special’ break character – column break, frame break, etc. – at the end of the line where the text ‘slips away’.
If these don't seem to be the problem, is it possible for you to share the AFPUB document in public?

image.png.f680bc7098a46f99c347a58f2c1ae63d.png

20 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Welcome to the forums @Lintrezza

I think this is most likely something to do with the Flow Options, see attached image.
Can you check those first?
Or you can use menu “Text → Show Special Characters” and see if there is a ‘special’ break character – column break, frame break, etc. – at the end of the line where the text ‘slips away’.
If these don't seem to be the problem, is it possible for you to share the AFPUB document in public?

image.png.f680bc7098a46f99c347a58f2c1ae63d.png

Thanks GarryP. There was prevent widowed last lines ticked. Unticked it, no change, and second option they were all on '0' - I did spot a couple of other options while in there,  such as Balance Columns, and hide overflow, but none of them have made a difference. 

I did notice that the text style is set at 'No Style'.  So I changed it to body which ripped up my document, so removed that option.

27 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Not keen on that option. It's putting my novel out there a bit sooner than I'd like. Happy to send it to someone though?

Just now, pbasdf said:

Is it possible you have a hidden object which has text wrap applied?

I don't think so. It seems to happen every couple of pages, but with no real pattern.  I noted that with special characters set - it shows only one line break, though it is physically 3.

Are you using master pages?
There might be a shape on those which has a text wrap applied.
Are your text frames on the master pages?

Can you give us a full-screen screenshot showing the special characters, so we can see where they are?

Note: When you supply screenshots it is often best to supply the full application window (or the full screen) so we can see what you can see, rather than having to do ‘keyhole diagnosis’ which often leads to lots of extra questions.

2 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Are you using master pages?
There might be a shape on those which has a text wrap applied.
Are your text frames on the master pages?

Can you give us a full-screen screenshot showing the special characters, so we can see where they are?

Note: When you supply screenshots it is often best to supply the full application window (or the full screen) so we can see what you can see, rather than having to do ‘keyhole diagnosis’ which often leads to lots of extra questions.

Yes, using a master page. No shape on that. I guess if there was it would be uniformly every page it misses the last three lines, but it's scattered throughout.

Yes, my text frame is on the master.

Affinityfile.jpg

This might be unrelated, but looking at that text you seem to have quite a strong baseline adjustment - note the ascenders on the top line are above the frame box, and the text is out of line with the pilcrows.  

image.png.bbda1f2a2e8643bb68b470779abf7087.png

Unless you have adjusted the baseline for a reason, try setting it back to zero: it might be confusing the text flow options that @GarryP mentioned.

image.png.f24ee2898840c35668f68662a625e7be.png

(shown here in the Character panel, but if you are using styles check those as well).

5 minutes ago, pbasdf said:

This might be unrelated, but looking at that text you seem to have quite a strong baseline adjustment - note the ascenders on the top line are above the frame box, and the text is out of line with the pilcrows.  

Unless you have adjusted the baseline for a reason, try setting it back to zero: it might be confusing the text flow options that @GarryP mentioned.

(shown here in the Character panel, but if you are using styles check those as well).

I wondered how I did that! Resetting it has made no difference to the bottom of the page though.

Edited by Lintrezza

If I drag down the text field by about 1mm on the pages it's 'misbehaving' the text turns up. I tried to make it descend 1 mm on the master page, but it doesn't appear to resolve it. I have to do it on each of the pages it's incorrect.  I don't want to go back to Indesign, so it looks like altering each page individually. Bugger

When you tried adjusting your Flow settings, even if just the "Prevent Widowed Last Lines", how did you do it? You've said you aren't using text styles, so my guess is that you just adjusted it for 1 paragraph (perhaps the last one on the page with the problem). 

But you would need to adjust it for the next paragraph (the one that ended up on the next page). And maybe even for paragraphs further on, as the Flow settings can have effects further away than you would expect.

So you might try selecting a page or two of text around that area, and changing the value in the Paragraph panel so you affect all of them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

When you tried adjusting your Flow settings, even if just the "Prevent Widowed Last Lines", how did you do it? You've said you aren't using text styles, so my guess is that you just adjusted it for 1 paragraph (perhaps the last one on the page with the problem). 

But you would need to adjust it for the next paragraph (the one that ended up on the next page). And maybe even for paragraphs further on, as the Flow settings can have effects further away than you would expect.

So you might try selecting a page or two of text around that area, and changing the value in the Paragraph panel so you affect all of them.

I've selected all the text and changed all those settings to see if any of them work. They didn't. It's interested that it shows that blank line highlit on the first page near the top, but won't fill it with text.

affinity3.jpg

24 minutes ago, Lintrezza said:

I've selected all the text and changed all those settings to see if any of them work. They didn't. It's interested that it shows that blank line highlit on the first page near the top, but won't fill it with text.

In your screenshot you still have Prevent Widowed Last Lines set.

I don't understand your comment about the first page near the top, as you don't seem to have shown that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

In your screenshot you still have Prevent Widowed Last Lines set.

I don't understand your comment about the first page near the top, as you don't seem to have shown that.

It didn't matter if I had widowed last lines selected or not. It made no difference. So I left it that way, tried every combination possible of the 4.

The screenshot shows two pages, just the very bottom of the first page, ends, 'decided trips into the'. Which is the page I was referring to.

28 minutes ago, Lintrezza said:

It's interested that it shows that blank line highlit on the first page near the top, but won't fill it with text.

Could be a manual line break. The text contents reads strange and implies some text is missing:
page 43:  into the
page 44: The tree

Can you activate in menu Text > Show Special Characters and make a new screenshot?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

20 hours ago, thomaso said:

Could be a manual line break. The text contents reads strange and implies some text is missing:
page 43:  into the
page 44: The tree

Can you activate in menu Text > Show Special Characters and make a new screenshot?

Hi there, that 'you've reached the maximum amount of posts in 24 hours' popped up out of nowhere. I did respond thomaso, but unfortunately it's gone.  The text did read strangely, that's because I'd been playing with it and cut some of it out. It wasn't indicative of the document where the sentences are unbroken.

I had a go at copying and pasting the doc into word to see if the line issue follows through. It didn't. After setting up all the normal flow, spacing, font etc guidelines into a  new Affinity File and then placing it - the issue was back.

I appreciate that you don't want to upload your entire novel online but if you can recreate the problem by copying one to three pages in a new document and upload that to the forum you may get a quicker resolution to this issue

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

24 minutes ago, Lintrezza said:

I used the same Style template

Hm? The text appears to have no saved Text Style assigned. And your issue is caused by the Flow Options of the Paragraph Style (as mentioned before):

ON:

1597349097_paragraphtextflow1.jpg.d0ac00862c1c16c8d05ed72c1d876a4c.jpg

OFF:

1162039197_paragraphtextflow2.jpg.75420d5fd58d06ffef6edd82bdb6b322.jpg

But I took it off and left it off and it made no difference - so I put it back on again!  (goes and has another rumble around in there).

Aha! I think it was you who mentioned earlier that it was only removing it for that paragraph, not the whole document. I just ctrl+A and unticked it, and yes, the issue is resolved. I am so pleased it is, but also embarrassed it was such a simple fix, after thinking I had counted it out.

Wish I could shout you all a beer!

14 minutes ago, Lintrezza said:

it was only removing it for that paragraph, not the whole document. I just ctrl+A and unticked it, and yes, the issue is resolved.

Fine!

Tooltip: This is one of the advantages with using saved Text Styles (instead of "[No Style]") in the Text Styles Panel: any change done to the style definition always works automatically for the entire text which has this style assigned – then entirely without need to have any text or any layer selected.