You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

7.5 Gpixel on iPad Pro M1 12.9” and iPadOS16…

Today I tested my M1 iPad with a giant pixeldocument in Affinity Photo for iPad - the idea was to see the new memory swap technology into the new iPadOS16, beta 1…

The document was 100000x75000 pixels, 7.5Gpixel big…

Pretty impressed that an iPad could manage such an huge file!!!

The question is, where’s the limit into Photo on iPad?

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

Hi, @AffinityMakesMeSmileand welcome to the forums.

So far as I know, the max. is 256,000 x 256,000 pixel. If I remember correct this is the maximum value the jpeg format  can handle.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

• Staff

Hi @AffinityMakesMeSmile :)

I'm certainly glad to hear this is working 'out the box', so to speak, as our team is yet to make any specific changes for iPadOS 16 & macOS Ventura in the Affinity apps!

6 hours ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

The question is, where’s the limit into Photo on iPad?

Besides physical pixel limitations, such as the one above, I can't find any reference in Apples information regarding a limit for this functionality - of course the main limit will be the free disk space on your iPad, as the apps can only swap out to a virtual memory location whilst there is available storage on your iPad.

Please do let us know in the iPad beta section of the forums, should you come across any issues whilst using this iPadOS beta!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 3 months later...
On 6/16/2022 at 9:47 AM, Komatös said:

Hi, @AffinityMakesMeSmileand welcome to the forums.

So far as I know, the max. is 256,000 x 256,000 pixel. If I remember correct this is the maximum value the jpeg format  can handle.

Only for creating a. New document. You can open larger images or resize if in native formats or formats having larger size limits.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.