You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer won't open anymore, but Photo does.

• Staff

Hi @cardi777,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
You have to press and hold the CTRL key while you start the application until the Clear User Data dialog appears. Leave the three ticked boxes as they are then press the Clear button. Do not tick any other boxes or you may lose any custom brushes, assets, add-ons etc you may have added to the app.

7 hours ago, DWright said:

Can you please rename the following folder to 1.0.old and then when you open Designer it will force the program to create a new folder 1.0 containing the default files 

%AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0

Thanks DWright

tried that, no cigar. it recreated it then didn't open.

i think this must be a windows issue with other software, thanks anyways. hopefully will work with the next update :| 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi MEB.  I'm replying to this thread because I dont see how to contact you directly.

I am trying to edit PSD text effects (from Freepik) on Affinity Photo.

I've seen your advice to tick the Preferences/General item to import as text.  I've done that.

But I'm still stuck on not being able to select and edit the word.  I hit the text option on the left, and I double click on the layer on the right, but nothing lets me change the text.

I'm guessing I'm missing something really basic.  And I know you're the guru!

(Also, do I need to have the font in my font book for it to be recognized and usable in Affinity Photo?  The cool font gets converted the moment I see it in AP.)

Thanks!

Hi @cd richmond and welcome to the forums.

Can you provide us a screen shot with shows the layer panel?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

@cd richmond

The layer you want to edit is a pixel layer. Please go to Edit -> General and activate the two PSD options. Then open the file again.

image.png.37bbc64a641acb4351e9a1803cb0776e.png

Edited by Komatös
Additions

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

But note that the second option includes "where possible". Some Smart Objects cannot be handled.

Also, some effects cannot be handled, and might result in rasterization.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Expand this grouped layer, the green one that says effect(Group).

1426077560_ScreenShot2022-07-10at7_06_20AM.png.b388f81538656af656ffc6c4e0226926.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

THank you, Komatos.  I have activated the two PSD options.  Old Bruce, your tip was helpful.  I could change the word (there were many layers to the word, but when I changed one, they all changed... see attached circle indicating a random one I chose to double click then edit in a new window).

And thank you, Walt.  I'm starting to think the downloaded Freepik psd might just be a smart object that cannot be handled by AP

PROBLEM: the dynamism (blue glow) and original font are gone.  See attached (what it is suppoed to look like vs what it looks like).  Is this because of the smart object not being handled completely?  Do I need to have the original font installed (I dont know what the original is... the psd file doesnt say). 

luster.png

random.jpg

On 6/16/2022 at 9:20 AM, cardi777 said:

Hi, 

Although Photo opens, Designer doesn't.

• I tried deleting it and re-installing it.
  • I tried repairing it.
  • I tried opening it as administrator. 
  • I tried deleting the cached app data

Any ideas?

fyi - i reinstalled my graphics drivers (radeon 5500) and it seems to have come back to live :|

related? not sure.