You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer won't start - 'not responding'

Hello,

The issue is very straightforward: Designer for macOS Monterey (MBP 14) just won't start, it happened out of the blue. I was using it normally and now as soon as I open it, it will go directly into 'not responding'. I uninstalled it and reinstalled, nothing. Don't know what else to do.

• Staff

Hi @cesarsteven

Welcome to the forum.

Could you try holding down CTRL on your keyboard then opening the application. Keep CTRL pressed until a 'Clear User Data' window appears, release the CTRL button at this point then press 'Clear'.  

The link below will advise you what is cleared and where assets are stored so they can be backed up.   

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/98906-what-exactly-do-the-clear-user-data-options-clear/&tab=comments#comment-529435   

This is what I got when I got the exe file. This is all greek to me so I need some help.

Last login: Fri Jun 17 14:30:37 on ttys000

You have mail.

/Applications/Affinity\ Publisher.app/Contents/MacOS/Affinity\ Publisher ; exit;

The default interactive shell is now zsh.

To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.

For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.

jill-wolcotts-computer-2:~ jillwolcott1$ /Applications/Affinity\ Publisher.app/Contents/MacOS/Affinity\ Publisher ; exit;

Exe file? You're on MacOS so what should a Win exe file be good for here? - You probably mean instead a shell script or some shell commands (?).

37 minutes ago, Jill Wolcott said:

/Applications/Affinity\ Publisher.app/Contents/MacOS/Affinity\ Publisher ; exit;

The above would only make halfway sense if executed from inside a MacOS terminal (Terminal.app). The green shown part starts and executes Publisher from the command line. The red one indicates that when you hit Ctrl-C inside the terminal/shell that it then quits the started Publisher app.

37 minutes ago, Jill Wolcott said:

The default interactive shell is now zsh.

To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.

For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.

You're probably running an older MacOS version (Catalina?) with a default bash shell instead of the zsh shell started in Terminal.app, thus you get this message. Performing/executing that `chsh -s /bin/zsh` command in Terminal.app  will setup the zsh to be your default Unix shell instead of bash.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

16 minutes ago, Jill Wolcott said:

Thanks.  I am basically a user, not a computer person so I have no idea what some of this means!  I just clicked on an exe (took me to dos).

Can you explain that last bit a little more?  Seriously, i don't understand. I am on Catalina.  How do I do that?

Are you trying to install Affinity Publisher?

If so you need the Mac version installer this will be a .dmg file.

.exe files are generally executable files used to install and run apps on windows systems.

Mac apps use .dmg or .pkg files for installation  but most commonly .dmg files.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

15 hours ago, Jill Wolcott said:

It was an exec not exe.  Anyway, that showed me link to the apple site which told me how to change.  

Are you trying to use this file to start the Affinity applications?

955323643_ScreenShot2022-06-21at8_00_48AM.png.4b43b46213a9b4b3d8a6c042ecec5943.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 minutes ago, Jill Wolcott said:

I was trying everything to get info. Can we quit focusing on that and work on why none of my Affinity software will open?

Possibly because you are trying to get some file with exec or exe in its name to run. While you can use the Command line Interface of the Terminal app (this is perhaps your "dos") to start the application it is a method fraught with extreme peril for one who is "not a computer person".

17 hours ago, Jill Wolcott said:

...  Not sure whether it will work, but I've changed from bash to zsh.  ...

It was an exec not exe. ...

I just clicked on an exe (took me to dos).

None of that stuff is usually encountered when running a Mac Application like any of the Affinity suite.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Well, good news!  I did a hard shutdown yesterday after all this when my computer wouldn't shut down.  I turned it on a little later, and then came to it again this morning.  All programs were waiting to be verified and registered (I had reloaded everything yesterday).  So I appear to be in business for now!