You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Isolate Mask (on IPad Pro)

Isolation mode (as it is called on Desktop) is called Solo mode on iPad UI.

https://affinity.help/photoipad/English.lproj/pages/LayerOperations/isolating.html

In case you are looking for something else, can you please give some more context what you are trying to achieve?

• Layers panel allows to extract/copy/paste channels (destructively)
  • channels mixer adjustment allows to e.g. map alpha channel into RGB channel (or invers) for non-destructive workflows

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• 1 month later...

I'm not able to find anywhere I can manually paint a mask in and out on ipad version.
This seems so basic and fundamental - like that's 80% of what I do in non-destructive photo editing and yet it's either buried so deep as to be non-existent, or...
I can't imagine they didn't include this basic everyday feature.
Where is it?
You should absolutely be able to simply select a mask, make it visible as a grescale (or as a red overlay with the affected image layer also visible), and you should be able to got dam paint on it!
Same with masks made in the refine selection tool. You should be able to easily and effortlessly paint over those without having to look up tutorials or anything. It should be basic beginner level easy!

8 minutes ago, smool niyeet said:

I'm not able to find anywhere I can manually paint a mask in and out on ipad version.
This seems so basic and fundamental - like that's 80% of what I do in non-destructive photo editing and yet it's either buried so deep as to be non-existent, or...
I can't imagine they didn't include this basic everyday feature.
Where is it?
You should absolutely be able to simply select a mask, make it visible as a grescale (or as a red overlay with the affected image layer also visible), and you should be able to got dam paint on it!
Same with masks made in the refine selection tool. You should be able to easily and effortlessly paint over those without having to look up tutorials or anything. It should be basic beginner level easy!

SOLO mode in layers sub menu. 

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

16 minutes ago, Paul Mudditt said:

SOLO mode in layers sub menu. 

On 6/16/2022 at 8:56 AM, NotMyFault said:

Isolation mode (as it is called on Desktop) is called Solo mode on iPad UI.

https://affinity.help/photoipad/English.lproj/pages/LayerOperations/isolating.html

To enable soloing:

On the Layers Studio, select the layer to be soloed, and tap More to see more layer options.

Tap Solo.

Select Solo again to exit the mode manually.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

nope
AP is designed spookily. shit that works one day makes no sense the next bc something they don't tell you about is microscopically different, and there is nothing intuitive about the UI. it's the most user-hostile program i've literally ever used.
The solution, it turns out, is you have to unclick "protect alpha" in the contextual menu for the mask layer to be able to paint it in and out. not sure if that's what you're talking about bc everything is ridiculously complicated and opaque in AP.
Even the way layers, masks, and adjustments are supposed to be stacked in order to have the desired effect is the opposite of intuitive - they don't appear in the order they affect each other, and then they affect each other in spooky and unwanted ways.
have never had a consistently predictable experience using AP from one session to the next. also the most haunted program i've ever used.
dear affinity programmers: please fix everything about this program. it is not at all intuitive, it asks way too much of the user, unless the user is a programmer with rectilinear thinking who learns by rote and memorises technical manuals with ease. The rest of us are sturrugguling!

12 hours ago, smool niyeet said:

nope
AP is designed spookily. shit that works one day makes no sense the next bc something they don't tell you about is microscopically different, and there is nothing intuitive about the UI. it's the most user-hostile program i've literally ever used.
The solution, it turns out, is you have to unclick "protect alpha" in the contextual menu for the mask layer to be able to paint it in and out. not sure if that's what you're talking about bc everything is ridiculously complicated and opaque in AP.
Even the way layers, masks, and adjustments are supposed to be stacked in order to have the desired effect is the opposite of intuitive - they don't appear in the order they affect each other, and then they affect each other in spooky and unwanted ways.
have never had a consistently predictable experience using AP from one session to the next. also the most haunted program i've ever used.
dear affinity programmers: please fix everything about this program. it is not at all intuitive, it asks way too much of the user, unless the user is a programmer with rectilinear thinking who learns by rote and memorises technical manuals with ease. The rest of us are sturrugguling!

Strange, never been a problem to me but then again I hated how illogical (and expensive) Photoshop was compared to Affinity and I made sure I watched all the Serif tutorials first as Affinity on iPad is desktop class and hence complex compared to some of the toy apps like Snapseed and Photoshop on iPad.

Look at the Assistant options to decide whether you want adjustments and filters affect everything below or nested to a specific layer. Obviously you can always drag an adjustment onto a layer afterwards and vice versa.

Quick and dirty example of Solo on iPad:-

4FFA5603-3A9F-4A19-935B-5F09BD236E85.png

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help