You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am in Photo from StudioLink, and as you can see the paintbrush is selected, the color white is selected, and the mask layer is selected, but both the black and the white colors mask out the image, and the white doesn't paint the image back. (Where his mouth should be is where I have the brush.) At first I thought it was user error, but then it started happening again and I thought, "maybe I haven't lost my mind."

Is it just me or is this buggy?1075602922_ScreenShot2022-06-14at8_39_23PM.thumb.png.a3eb0cf6490dd368e0c418d604085d04.png

One comment: You say you are "in Photo from StudioLink". No, you're still in Publisher, in the Photo Persona. You would only be "in" Photo if you used File > Edit in Photo, or opened Photo directly. So it would probably have been better to have posted in Publisher Bugs rather than Photo Bugs. But that's just my opinion; if the Moderators care they'll move it there for you :) 

As for your problem: You're painting with White, but its Opacity is 0% (see Color panel). Raise the opacity and it should work.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

As for your problem: You're painting with White, but its Opacity is 0% (see Color panel). Raise the opacity and it should work.

I notice this colour opacity setting quite often (not always) when switching in APub to the Photo persona + select a brush tool. Then initially not only the paint brush but also other other brush tools can have their colour opacity set to 0 %. I did not find a way yet to get rid of this useless setting reliable, app restart seems to solve temporarily only. Unfortunately I couldn't detect yet when exactly it occurs / what is influencing this oddity. An existing mask layer (or any other selected layer) is no condition to make this weirdness happen when a brush tool gets selected.

13 hours ago, RenWaller said:

the mask layer is selected, but both the black and the white colors mask out the image, and the white doesn't paint the image back. (Where his mouth should be is where I have the brush.)

@walt.farrell, In the OP's screenshot, the preview on the page and the color/brush settings seem to be contradictory. If White is selected as the primary color (in the front of the 2 colour wells) and set to 0% opacity, then ...
• why does the brush preview in the layout show a 100% masking (= shows the blue background)
• why would White be masking at all (I would expect black)?

If I select a mask layer, choose the Paint Brush and Select White as front most colour then setting its opacity = 0% sometimes causes 100% masking (as if 100% black was chosen), other times causes nothing. Switching the colour wells and toggling colour opacity between 100 and 0 % seems to confuse the process and cause not reliably but differing results if used to paint. Again, I can't see a rule or system for this unexpected behaviour which makes it also difficult to reproduce for a screencast video.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

47 minutes ago, thomaso said:

why does the brush preview in the layout show a 100% masking (= shows the blue background)

I have no idea what the blue circle signifies, nor whether it's something the Affinity app showed, or something the screenshot process showed.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I have no idea what the blue circle signifies, nor whether it's something the Affinity app showed, or something the screenshot process showed.

As the OP mentioned the blue circle signifies the current brush position on the page – though I do miss the white UI border, too.

Here is just one of several confusing situations I experience with brush colour and colour opacity on a mask. Though this time the unexpected default colour opacity = 0% when the paint brush gets selected does not occur, this clip anyway shows conflicting results, for instance different colour wells / colour space (yellow vs grayscale) and masking with White = 0% … In this situation every brsuh stroke increases the mask and there seems to be no way to reduce the mask with brush to reconstruct the image.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC: