You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Glyph browser and different font types

I was excited to find out that Glyph browser worked but have a couple of questions.  I downloaded the font Cupcake from Creative Fabrica.  On other fonts, the accent circonflex  - 

• Alt+0234 (ê)

- showed above the letter.  

When I picked Cupcake, it doesn't show in glyph browser. 

1.  Is it font specific as to whether the accent is chooseable?

2.  Why is the view in glyph browser so small?  I'm on a desktop and can barely make them out.

glyph.png

6 minutes ago, KariF said:

When I picked Cupcake, it doesn't show in glyph browser. 

1.  Is it font specific as to whether the accent is chooseable?

2.  Why is the view in glyph browser so small?  I'm on a desktop and can barely make them out.

1: Yes, it is entirely up to the designer of the font which glyphs are included.

2: I don't know why the panel and the glyphs cannot be enlarged. Major frustration here, and I am a monolingual Anglophone working in English only so I have to use this very very very rarely. Every time I do need it I curse and finally find (again) the trick to enlarging the glyph sizes. Use the ineptly named Hamburger menu and choose Largest Size. Still small for some oddball fonts but a bit better.

564684022_ScreenShot2022-06-13at11_23_10AM.png.9bb0abc16ead892daafb4ba1a34af0fa.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

1: Yes, it is entirely up to the designer of the font which glyphs are included.

2: I don't know why the panel and the glyphs cannot be enlarged. Major frustration here, and I am a monolingual Anglophone working in English only so I have to use this very very very rarely. Every time I do need it I curse and finally find (again) the trick to enlarging the glyph sizes. Use the ineptly named Hamburger menu and choose Largest Size. Still small for some oddball fonts but a bit better.

564684022_ScreenShot2022-06-13at11_23_10AM.png.9bb0abc16ead892daafb4ba1a34af0fa.png

Haha.  I didn't even notice it existed.  That as a huge help.  It showed the accent in glyph browser on it's own so I tried that but it didn't work as it would insert the accent but not combined with e.  So I went to character map and picked it and copied and then pasted as a character and it worked.  I didn't understand the G+ option.  Is that in combination with a command key?  I'm using Windows 10.  Thanks for keeping it simple for a newbie. 😊

Screenshot 2022-06-13 175702.png

1 hour ago, KariF said:

I didn't understand the G+ option. 

From the online AD help topic "Special characters and glyphs"  & the built in topic of ythe same name in the Mac version there is this:

To insert glyphs/Unicode characters directly using Hex code:

1. Click for an insertion point in the text.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • For a glyph: Type 'G+' then enter the Hex code, e.g. '02F5' or '2F5'.
    • For a Unicode character: Type 'U+' then the Hex code, e.g. '0040', '040' or '40'.
  3. Toggle from code to displayed character by using Text>Toggle Unicode. Toggle back to Hex code using the same command; keep insertion point at end of character.

However, the AD Text menu does not have a "Toggle Unicode" item & the 'G+hex code' does not seem to work, at least for me in the Mac version of AD.

But that Text menu item does exist in the APub app & the 'G+' entry method does work there, so I think the AD help topic is in error.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

18 hours ago, R C-R said:

However, the AD Text menu does not have a "Toggle Unicode" item & the 'G+hex code' does not seem to work, at least for me in the Mac version of AD.

But that Text menu item does exist in the APub app & the 'G+' entry method does work there, so I think the AD help topic is in error.

However, Designer does have the Toggle Unicode function, and the default keyboard shortcut (Alt+U) is assigned to it in Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts, Designer/Miscellaneous. And if you type G+ a glyph code, and then Alt+U, the character is converted. Also works for U+. So the function is there, it just can't be accessed via the Text menu.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

20 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Designer does have the Toggle Unicode function, and the default keyboard shortcut (Alt+U) is assigned to it

Control + U is the default in Mac OS

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Control + U is the default in Mac OS

Thanks! For some reason, I did not have that default set in my copy of AD, but regardless, the AD help topic is wrong when it says you can use Text>Toggle Unicode for this. Even if for some long forgotten reason I removed that shortcut in AD, the Mac help topic should explain that there is not a Text menu item for this toggle & you have to use a keyboard shortcut.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 months later...

Can you refresh my memory on placement .  I'm trying with another word and other accents.   It says click for insert point in text.  I do that and then I double click to add an accent but it removes the letter.  I try to highlight the letter and double click to add the accent but that doesn't work either.  What am I missing?

16 hours ago, KariF said:

Can you refresh my memory on placement .  I'm trying with another word and other accents.   It says click for insert point in text.  I do that and then I double click to add an accent but it removes the letter.  I try to highlight the letter and double click to add the accent but that doesn't work either.  What am I missing?

I think you need a font with Combining accents.

901759737_ScreenShot2022-09-07at10_16_37AM.png.949df0b510f8cc87d41268513d037b86.png

17 hours ago, KariF said:

I do that and then I double click to add an accent but it removes the letter.

If you have only the insertion point set, and do not have a letter highlighted/selected in the text frame, I don't think it should be removing the letter. And it doesn't for me (on Windows). I do think that @Old Bruce is correct that you need to be using combining accents, and have a font that supports them, but I still do not think that with only the insertion point set it would remove any letters from the text.

If that doesn't explain it, we might need some screenshots or (better) a screen recording so we can try to see what's happening.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

22 hours ago, KariF said:

What font are you using?
What specific characters are you trying to insert and combine?

The font may not have the proper pieces you need.

13 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

What font are you using?
What specific characters are you trying to insert and combine?

The font may not have the proper pieces you need.

The font name is called Cupcake and was from Creative Fabrica.  Any of the french accents available.  I'll take some screengrabs and a quick video of trying to use the existing ones.  I ended up vertically moving the remaining letters to the left and it worked but time consuming.

I tried various searches on Google to use unicode but when I toggle with that particular font it didn't work.  I wanted to use a scripty font and realized about an hour in that wasn't like to find that you could also combine accents with.  

12 minutes ago, KariF said:

The font name is called Cupcake and was from Creative Fabrica.  Any of the french accents available.  I'll take some screengrabs and a quick video of trying to use the existing ones.  I ended up vertically moving the remaining letters to the left and it worked but time consuming.

I tried various searches on Google to use unicode but when I toggle with that particular font it didn't work.  I wanted to use a scripty font and realized about an hour in that wasn't like to find that you could also combine accents with.  

grab1.jpg

grab2.jpg

grab3.jpg

grab4.jpg

Now that I have done a better job of reading what you wrote, and what others wrote about the font not having the accented characters ...
I do not think it is going to work.
The old legacy accents from the old pre-Unicode fonts were entered by first entering the accent, and then the base character. This required some keyboard specifics, and the old "codepage" encoding.
Affinity applications do not support the old codepage encoding.
They only support Unicode.
In Unicode the modern accents, or marks, are all now "combining" accents.
They have no width, and are entered after the base character, and they are aligned using invisible anchors.
So this requires the non-spacing marks, and the anchors.
I doubt this font has either.

I have not been able to find your particular Cupcake font (found 3 different ones).
It may be fairly easy to generate the accented characters.
Applications like FontLab or Glyphs App can take the parts and magically make the accented characters. FontLab says ... "hey, we got some accents, we got some old marks, look, we can make a bunch of characters with these!"
It is pretty much push-da-button if the parts are all there.
May not be perfect, but better than nothing.

I upgraded another CM font for someone here in the forum, and when I was done I sent the source files, and the upgraded font to the original author.
She was quite appreciative.

So I can take a look at it if you want.