You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No, only the main one from each app. Some of the options and tools are also slightly different. StudioLink can be very handy, but it is really only for basic operations. not a substitute for using the full versions of Photo and Designer.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

No, only the main Photo and Designer personas are available via StudioLink. If you want access to any of the other features, use the ‘File > Edit in …’ menu options.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

The Personas in Publisher give you access to the ‘main’ Personas of Designer and Photo (if you have those applications installed).
If you want to use a ‘sub-persona’ of either Designer or Photo (e.g. Pixel Persona or Liquify Persona, etc.) then you will need to switch to the application which has that Persona (via menu “File → Edit in <application>”).

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

No, only the main Photo and Designer personas are available via StudioLink. If you want access to any of the other features, use the ‘File > Edit in …’ menu options.

Thanks!

That seems quite handy. No issues with going back and forth?

7 minutes ago, GeirSol said:

No issues with going back and forth?

There should not be any issues, but the transfer is a complex process, so it might be wise to Save the document first just in case...

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

53 minutes ago, GeirSol said:

No issues with going back and forth?

There ARE still issues with this. Very easy for you to lose an unsaved document every now and again

So, ALWAYS save the document before using Edit in...

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

The important thing to remember with "Edit in" is that if you close the app you're editing in, the file won't automatically go back to the app it came from, you need to either move it back yourself, or to save it from the app it's open in.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

17 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

The important thing to remember with "Edit in" is that if you close the app you're editing in, the file won't automatically go back to the app it came from, you need to either move it back yourself, or to save it from the app it's open in.

So, If I have a project in Publisher, then edit in Photo, save in Photo, then the changes are not automatically transferred to Publisher?

Always save before switch?
But, Photo and Designer has no issues saving .afbub ?

It’s always safer to save before switching. As for issues arising out of saving to another Affinity format, the problem doesn’t exist: there is only one format, with the different filename extensions merely indicating which app was used to create the original file.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

To add a little to Alfred’s reply above...

The filename extension (AFDESIGN, AFPHOTO or AFPUB) of the original file should be retained by whichever application you Save with.
So, for example, opening an AFPUB document in Publisher, then editing in Photo, and Saving, should retain the AFPUB extension.
This should happen whether you open the document in a different application or if you use “Edit in…”

However, if you use “Save As”, rather than “Save”, then you will – by default, but you can change it – get a file with the extension related to the application you are “saving as” from.

Edit: Slight edit for clarification after comment from carl123 below.

Edited by GarryP

10 minutes ago, GarryP said:

However, if you use “Save As”, rather than “Save”, then you will get a file with the extension related to the application you are “saving as” from

Although, you can change it (the file extension) when doing the Save As.. to any of the other valid Affinity extensions

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

Although, you can change it (the file extension) when doing the Save As.. to any of the other valid Affinity extensions

Not on Macs:

241736028_cantsave.jpg.7f306f90fb63f5589c76d386204c270b.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

14 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Not on Macs:

This is one of those "helpful" Mac OS defaults that I actually like. I rarely change file extensions (either in the Finder or the few applications I have that will allow it with a Save As... dialog). Almost exclusively when I do do this it is changing a .txt to a .py extension. Basically changing a plain text file to a plain text file. In my experience I have come across people who have done things like changing .docx to .rtf or .jpg to .png with disastrous results. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Just now, Old Bruce said:

This is one of those "helpful" Mac OS defaults that I actually like.

Yes, for most file formats it avoids potentially disastrous results, but for the Affinity suite there is no danger because the format is exactly the same no matter which of the 3 extensions are used. Besides, the "use both" option is silly!

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

the "use both" option is silly!

And when you place a file "001.afdesign" in a Designer or Photo Document the layer name is 001.afdesign, then use the Export persona to export that layer to a ... let us say TIFF file you get 001.afdesign.TIFF

Then you place that in another document and on and on.... 0001.afdesign.TIFF.PDF.PNG.JPEG

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.