You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Romanian language support

Hi, @Marius Buculei and welcome to the forums.

Yes, because Romanic languages are derived from Latin. However, dictionaries and hyphenation rules have to be added manually for different language stems.

These can be downloaded from the LibreOffice repository on GitHub.

https://github.com/LibreOffice/dictionaries.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

1 hour ago, Marius Buculei said:

does Affinity Publisher support Romanian language, by recognizing characters such as ă, î, ș, ț, â, Ă, Î, Ș, Ț, Â imported from a Microsoft Word text source?

Yes, as long as the font you choose supports Romanian. Some fonts are not localized for Romanian so be sure to check. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Marius Buculei said:

What should I do?

Looks like you need to install the Times New Roman CE font, as apparently that Word document uses it and it's not installed as a system font on your machine.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Looks like you need to install the Times New Roman CE font, as apparently that Word document uses it and it's not installed as a system font on your machine.

If you don’t already have Times New Roman CE and you don’t want to incur the expense of purchasing it, consider using the free font Doulos SIL instead.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

As I understand it Times New Roman CE is just a variation of Times New Roman, so isn't it easier to accept the substitution? At least, just try it and check that the required Romanian characters display correctly. (If everything is OK, save it, so that you don't keep getting the missing fonts message whenever you open it.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Being a monolingual Anglophone I am not certain but it could be that Romanian has characters/glyphs that are not in the Times font, hence the CE suffix for Central Europe.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 6/12/2022 at 8:24 PM, Marius Buculei said:

does Affinity Publisher support Romanian language, by recognizing characters such as ă, î, ș, ț, â, Ă, Î, Ș, Ț, Â imported from a Microsoft Word text source?

This is really two questions.

In order to have Affinity Publisher DISPLAY those characters, two questions need to be answered as "Yes".

Question 1. Will Affinity Publisher accept those characters, in the sense that the character codes are recognized and can be saved in a document?

Answer. Yes.

Question 2. Will Affinity Publisher display those characters correctly,and not as some shape such as a black rectangle or some similar?

Answer. It will but if and only if the text is formatted using a font that contains the correct glyph (that is , the correct image) for each of those characters.

I have carried out a test by copying the ten characters from your forum post and pasting them into a text frame in an Affinity Publisher document. They displayed in the Arial font. I formatted to 72 point and they look good.

I then changed the font to Times New Roman, the version bundled with Windows 10 on my home computer, and it works.

Coverage of accented characters in fonts has improved greatly over the years.

Is the document from which you are importing an old document from around twenty years or so ago? Back then some companies charged a more money for fonts that contained glyphs for characters only used in languages from central Europe.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

Thank you very much for your extensive answer. The idea is to be able to import fairly new (last year) word files which contain the above mentioned characters and be able to edit them using the same type of characters. Which I did successfully so far. My only concern was the message coming up and its significance, as the final document (in Affinity Publisher) would be sent to printing and I was wondering if it'll have any effect.

I use Arial, so from the comments I get that shouldn't be any issues. Thanks to all of you who helped me!

All the best.

Are you sending as a PDF document?

If so, I recommend that you choose to embed a subset of the font in the PDF document.

As Arial is widely available, some people choose not to embed it in a PDF.

However that is then relying on the printshop having EXACTLY the same font available.

Best not to risk that the EXACT same font may not be available at the printshop.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

15 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Being a monolingual Anglophone I am not certain but it could be that Romanian has characters/glyphs that are not in the Times font, hence the CE suffix for Central Europe.

I did try pasting the Romanian letters from the first post (ă, î, ș, ț, â, Ă, Î, Ș, Ț,  ) into APub and set the font to Times New Roman. It looked right to me, hence the suggestion to try accepting the substitution and just see if it worked, rather than having to install any other fonts. 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, PaulEC said:

I did try pasting the Romanian letters from the first post (ă, î, ș, ț, â, Ă, Î, Ș, Ț,  ) into APub and set the font to Times New Roman. It looked right to me, hence the suggestion to try accepting the substitution and just see if it worked, rather than having to install any other fonts. 

It looks OK to me, too, and I can’t claim to be hugely surprised. TNR has very wide coverage.

See if you can spot the minuscule differences between Doulos SIL and Times New Roman:3FAFF9B2-5AAA-4AF6-86C4-97B287F332F1.jpeg.d576d270a1f321396cca2bf2b04b90c3.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png

To be honest, I can't see much difference, other than a slight difference in the shape of the diacritics!

52 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

To be honest, I can't see much difference, other than a slight difference in the shape of the diacritics!

The TNR vertical strokes seem slightly thinner to me.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, that is the main difference. I think it is a tragedy that decades ago Adobe chose Times as the default font in the PostScript, which led to myriads of poorly designed book texts. Times is a newspaper typeface. It was specifically designed for the use in newspaper columns, to allow Times of London to cram up more text on their front page.

And it works well for that purpose because newspaper columns are much less wide than book pages, so they eye does not have to travel as far from left to right.

In reading a book, however, the eye has to travel a longer distance, so the text uses wider faces, larger point size and more white space between the lines (or at least it did in the books set before Adobe made Times the default and Microsoft nerds followed suit without even understanding what they were doing).

I like a Venetian font, with its sloping straight line on a lowercase letter e.

Alas there are not many about. I consider that that upward slope can give a text an optimistic ambience.

Fortunately a rather nice Venetian font, Goudita SF, was bundled with some of the old Serif Plus software programs, though alas it did not have a large character set, though it did include accented characters for some of the languages of Western Europe.

So does anyone know of a free Venetian font with a wide range of accented characters please?

William

6 minutes ago, William Overington said:

So does anyone know of a free Venetian font with a wide range of accented characters please?

No idea about coverage, but: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=free+venetian+fonts (or you could use other search engines, of course)

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I’m not seeing that here.

5A4814B0-D857-4B9C-A79C-910A6E92F5A5.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png

On 6/12/2022 at 3:24 PM, Marius Buculei said:

No answer for you, but you can download a fully working demo and using the info sent by the other posters you can test and make sure it works for you. 

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/publisher/?mc=AFFPPC01&gclid=Cj0KCQjwn4qWBhCvARIsAFNAMiiruAhoc7qA8BtaVAhqsTrzuIsrWq67cBtnjViUBXwjStH5HwmJcUUaApwvEALw_wcB

Demo is at the bottom of the page

20 minutes ago, wonderings said:

Demo is at the bottom of the page

Save yourself a lot of scrolling!

https://store.serif.com/get/publisher/trial/macos

https://store.serif.com/get/publisher/trial/windows

Alfred spacer.png

30 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Save yourself a lot of scrolling!

Your browser doesn't let you press End to get to the bottom of the page?

-- Walt
PC:

53 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Some browsers find that they are attached to keyboards with no end/home/page up/down keys.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Some browsers find that they are attached to keyboards with no end/home/page up/down keys.

What he said! Also, some browsers aren’t attached to physical keyboards at all, which means you’re stuck with whatever options are offered by your on-screen keyboard.

Alfred spacer.png