You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Trying to Halftone

AdamStanislav

Back in September 2012 I was visiting my home city of Bratislava, Slovakia. I took a bunch of photos with my Canon digital camera, but eventually misplaced the card. Now that I had to move after the fire in my apartment building, I found the card. Here is a scaled-down version of one of the pictures:

image.jpeg.87a4a79ae6834faad3768125ff98d145.jpeg

Today, I have been trying to figure out how to produce a black & white half tone in Affinity Photo. I cropped the above image, rescaled it so the longer dimension would be 11" (so it could be printed to an 8.5x11" sheet of paper, which is the US variation of the A4 size used just about everywhere else) at 1200 DPI.

Added a New Live Filter Layer / Colors / Halftone, set Contrast to 100 (which I wish was the default for the halftone filter), Cell Size to 24 (so I get 50 LPI, sine 24 dots per line and 50 lines per inch gives 24*50=1200 dots per inch), and the Screen Angle to 225. Here is the result:

image.thumb.png.2ed3aeeb533d233a220d7a01cd00ed9a.png

I wish I had a screen printer. If I did, I would invert the image and print it in white ink on a black T-shirt. At least in theory, the result would look essentially the same as the halftone above.

P.S. The photo is of a lower portion of the ancient Devín Castle which is at the junction of the Danube and Morava rivers at the border of Slovakia and Austria. When I was growing up, an electric fence (the “Iron Curtain”) prevented us from escaping to Austria. I walked by it many times.

By the way, I cannot use Affinity Photo for any kind of color works. When I open the above photo in AP, the colors look absolutely ghastly:

image.thumb.png.3bf62c629efa233b209fe2fc75aef2b9.png

Why oh why does Affinity think my monitor requires some weird profile? I have a professional BENQ monitor which shows perfectly good colors with no need of a profile.

Never assign or convert to a monitor profile as document profile.

Use the original color profile from the camera images (canon uses sRGB or AdobeRGB for jpeg files) as document profile.

if you have a cr2 file, you can choose any reasonable document profile. sRGB or DCI-P3 are reasonable choices.

The monitor profile is only usable as OS / display profile for that monitor. never never use as document format.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

2 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Never assign or convert to a monitor profile as document profile.

Then how am I supposed to see what I am doing when the colors look completely different in AP than they do after exporting the changes to a PNG or such?

7 minutes ago, AdamStanislav said:

Then how am I supposed to see what I am doing when the colors look completely different in AP than they do after exporting the changes to a PNG or such?

When you use the correct color profile setup in the whole chain, all documents will look correct on all properly color managed devices.

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/display-colour-management-in-the-affinity-apps/

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

5 hours ago, AdamStanislav said:

They don’t. They look different in AP than in any other software.

There are known issues with certain types of color profiles (v2 works, v4 not). If you switch to the version which is not affected by the issue, everything will work. In case you are calibrating the display, most calibration sw allows to switch versions in settings.

can’t find the old forums posts, it has been discussed multiple times. Look for LittleCMS.