You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When I alt-drag an object to duplicate and move it in one seamless action, the smart guides don't kick in.

When I just drag (without touching the keyboard) they're behaving as I expect.

Is there a setting I've not found for this?

(Mac, can you alt-drag on a PC?)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

Alt+Drag is "duplicate and ignore Snapping". the Smart Guides are part of the Snapping function.

Try Ctrl+Drag (Windows) or Cmd+Drag (Mac) to duplicate with Snappingl

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Alt+Drag is "duplicate and ignore Snapping". the Smart Guides are part of the Snapping function.

@ProDesigner, note that with an object selected with the Move Tool the Status bar at the bottom of the workspace window indicates that "⌥" (the alt/option key) ignores snapping. It also mentions how using "⇧" (shift) & "⌘" (Command) affect what happens when dragging.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, ProDesigner said:

When I alt-drag an object to duplicate and move it in one seamless action, the smart guides don't kick in.

Just let go of the alt key once the object is duplicated and the smart guides should now kick in. Works on Mac with the option key so I am assuming it will work on Windows too.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Just let go of the alt key once the object is duplicated and the smart guides should now kick in. Works on Mac with the option key so I am assuming it will work on Windows too.

Actually, it should snap if you just release the alt/option key while you are dragging out the duplicate, before you release the mouse button to place the duplicate. No need to do this after the duplicate is created.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

R C-R has added a much needed clarification. That is what I meant but didn't write.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Cool, thank you.

Should have thought of that because it occurs in another app (don't think it's affinity). Been a long day. Thank you.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

51 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Actually, it should snap if you just release the alt/option key while you are dragging out the duplicate, before you release the mouse button to place the duplicate. No need to do this after the duplicate is created.

Interesting. Thanks, @R C-R and @Old Bruce. I never tried releasing Alt while copying.

I may have assumed it wouldn't work, because (on Windows, at least) it doesn't work if you're copying using Ctrl. There, you can press/hold Ctrl and click to drag an object, and it duplicates. But if you release Ctrl it turns into a simple Move, rather than remaining a Copy.

I'm not sure I like Alt and Ctrl working differently in that situation.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm not sure I like Alt and Ctrl working differently in that situation.

I do like that I can decide to make a copy of what I am dragging simply by pressing the command key. The start location has the original and I am now dragging a copy. Then I decide I don't want to copy but just move the thing and I can let go of the command key and the original is now on the cursor being moved.