You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Clarification of 'selection' Defaults > Synchronise with selection uses.

So I have a text frame and in that is two chunks of text, each with a different Text Style applied.

The selection that Defaults > Synchronise with Selection is referring to is the text frame, or a portion of the text?

(A or B) in the attached. Thank you

--------------------------------------------------------

For info: Edit > Defaults > Synchronise with Selection + Edit > Defaults > Save is how we manage text style defaults in Affinity Publisher, not by using Text > Text Styles > Save Text Styles As default.

Screen Shot 2022-06-11 at 12.34.50.png

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

I have always assumed the latter is correct, insofar as we are saving the default of a paragraph style as [No Style]'s new text. We are not saving as default a collection of paragraphs  (including the words) with their styled text as the default for text frames.

What would be saved as a default for new text frames would be the number of columns and the colours of the stroke and background plus the offsets etc.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I have always assumed the latter is correct, insofar as we are saving the default of a paragraph style as [No Style]'s new text. We are not saving as default a collection of paragraphs  (including the words) with their styled text as the default for text frames.

What would be saved as a default for new text frames would be the number of columns and the colours of the stroke and background plus the offsets etc.

That's a logic I can relate to. It might explain why the action didn't always seem to result in any detectable change to the text style.

When you have one text box frame with one style of text in it, the natural thing to do is to just select the frame. It might be something others are falling foul of @Old Bruce, should you find yourself trying to help someone with this.

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

27 minutes ago, ProDesigner said:

When you have one text box frame with one style of text in it, the natural thing to do is to just select the frame. It might be something others are falling foul of @Old Bruce, should you find yourself trying to help someone with this.

Thinking back I am certain that one of the people who has fallen afoul of this was me. More than once.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

More than once.

And no doubt I will trip on it again too.

11 hours ago, ProDesigner said:

The selection that Defaults > Synchronise with Selection is referring to is the text frame, or a portion of the text?

(A or B)

To me it's "both": regardless which tool or selection is used, always the style of the 1st glyph is picked.

A. If a frame is selected (Move Tool) then the style of its 1st glyph is picked. Note, it can even be an invisible glyph like a zero-width space.
B. If not a frame but text is selected (Text Tool) then again the style of the 1st selected glyph get picked, too.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1