You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Strange colors when opening RAW files with Affinity Photo

Hey! I have a problem with RAW files in Affinity Photo on Windows. Every time I open a RAW file the colors are incorrect. I realized that in develop persona the image is treated as a 32 bits HDR image, changing the options of the assistant did not fix anything. I also tried changing the color profile option but I get the same result.

This is how it looks in Affinity Photo:

image.thumb.png.cfa148f83fcc988fb48e5ea121a937b8.png

And this is in Luminar 4 (correct colors):

image.png.b469c2eae8f9619597b18aed2475043c.png

Thank you for any help!

Edited by Wyros
Tags added

• Staff

Hi @Wyrosand Welcome to the Forums,

Could you attach the RAW file you show in your screenshot?  Its possible Luminar 4 isn't displaying the actual RAW data, which is what Affinity does and instead the camera processed embedded JPG.  I'm happy to admit i don't know enough about how Luminar works, but am happy to look into this :) 

Well with APh under MacOS and switching over to the Apple RAW engine (instead of the Serif one) would give you as default this result ...

apple-raw.jpg.c8cd8ecb20e5fffe6cb0122324a1cae6.jpg

So it's more a problem of the Serif RAW engine here!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Yeah, reading other threads I saw that changing the RAW engine fixed their problems, but I'm on Windows are there's only one RAW engines, the Serif RAW engine. So unfortunately I cannot fix it by doing that.

7 minutes ago, Wyros said:

So unfortunately I cannot fix it by doing that.

Here's the whole developed image as an JPG ...

P1000130.thumb.jpg.e57ca519d9e6e0c1de7b8a10d3e130b9.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

24 minutes ago, Wyros said:

But I would like to solve the problem so I can visualize RAW files correctly and make further adjustments.

Then open the Development Assistent and set for the Serif RAW engine the "Tone curve: take no action" setting as default. - That should give you a similar result!

serif-engine.thumb.jpg.689ac9d8d5ef7db63a79ec29a196756f.jpg

17 minutes ago, Wyros said:

I don't know if this is a Windows version issue but I get this same result

Possibly it didn't switched the right way back to Serif's engine under MacOS here and thus still used the Apple one instead for processing the RAW. - However, if it doesn't behave the expected way under Windows then you can try out the RAW converter which came acompanied with your Panasonic cam, that Silkypix one! Develop the RAW files with that one and export/save as JPG/TIFF and load these then into APh for further tweaking then!

5 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

try out the RAW converter which came acompanied with your Panasonic cam, that Silkypix one! Develop the RAW files with that one and export/save as JPG/TIFF and load these then into APh for further tweaking then!

Save as 16 bit TIFF if further tweaking is required, do not use JPEG if further adjusting is needed because JPEG will be 8 bits and possibly have compression artifacts.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

27 minutes ago, Wyros said:

Thanks for the responses! So apart from using TIFFs is not any solution?

Applying or not applying the various items in the Develop Assistant (Tone Curve and Exposure Bias) is about the only other advice I have. Colours being correct is highly subjective.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Colours being correct is highly subjective.

Well, that's true, but in this case the yellow tones of the image became white and all the highlights have a pink/red tint. So I would say those are incorrect colors. It can be fixed with overlays tab, but that is a slow solution while that problem is not present with the Apple RAW engine.

It's a known problem with the Serif RAW engine. If one of the channels is clipped you can get odd colours. Other engines are better at recovering this. Either be very careful with your highlights when taking the image or use a different engine. I do and send a tiff to Photo.