andyajon

Beta - Affinity Publisher

Hi Magic-design,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

From our FAQ:

When is Affinity Publisher launching?

Affinity Publisher should hopefully be available in beta form at the end of 2016. However, we will only release Publisher when we are happy with it. We will of course keep you updated on this.

I was devastated when I read that... I need a program like publisher soooooo badly right now... I DON'T want to even think about using InDesign.

Well, until 2017 you could try Canvas Draw for Mac, Scribus, iCalamus, VivaDesigner, Pages, PageStream, …

HTH

Well, until 2017 you could try Canvas Draw for Mac, Scribus, iCalamus, VivaDesigner, Pages, PageStream, …

HTH

Tried most of those and none handle PDFs and complex work like Pageplus does. Just wish we could run Pageplus on Mac without parallels etc...

I was devastated when I read that... I need a program like publisher soooooo badly right now... I DON'T want to even think about using InDesign.

Well, I'm using InDesign CC at the moment and it is fantastic but it is also horrendously expensive. All the other programs mentioned here are not in the same league. If Affinity Publisher is as good as Photo and Designer (and I'm sure it will be), then it will be a worthy replacement, although I'm not sure what I'll do with my last 20 years' ID files.

I'm not sure what I'll do with my last 20 years' ID files.

Convert them with VivaDesigner, which is not expensive and a long time on market and has some features you will never see in InDesign.

Hi peterdanckwerts,

If you use inDesign professionally, a monthly subscription is rather cheap. It pays for itself in an hour or so of your work.

It will be very hard for Affinity Publisher to get anywhere near the features inDesign offers now, and this list will only increase by the time the Publisher will finally show up. I'm not bashing the Publisher here. It's just how I see things in the near and not so near future.

Well, I'm using InDesign CC at the moment and it is fantastic but it is also horrendously expensive. All the other programs mentioned here are not in the same league. If Affinity Publisher is as good as Photo and Designer (and I'm sure it will be), then it will be a worthy replacement, although I'm not sure what I'll do with my last 20 years' ID files.

peterdanckwerts,

20 years, really? ;) You are right, InDesign is expensive and I agree with you as well that the other programs that were mentioned are not in the same class as InDesign. I'm surprised that the only other program that is in the same league as InDesign wasn't mentioned. Sure Quark Xpress is expensive, if you don't own a previous version then it is really expensive, but if you want something that is comparable to InDesign minus the subscription to tide you over until Affinity Publisher is released you don't have a lot of options. 

Hokusai

I've read some talk around these forums about the current affinity apps being ported over to the iPad pro, don't know if this is the reason why publisher has been delayed but if it is I feel like it is not the best idea. If I were in charge I'd do research into how many AD & AP users have iPad pros in order to gauge if that is the best direction. I bet sales for APub would be better than AD & AP iPad pro apps combined...