You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to enlarge an image section (zoom) in a steady picture frame

I replaced an image on a sheet. But the the people on the new photo are too small. Now I will enlarge the image cutout. But the image area is to remain the same size.

With the shifting tool I can enlarge or shrink the image, but then the whole picture frame gets bigger. That's why I have to use the vector cutting tool afterwards to bring the frame back to its original size.

Is there a better way?

• Staff

Hi Nashorn,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You didn't specify which program you're using. In Affinity Designer you can use the Crop tool to "hide" the parts you don't want visible. Just enlarge the image to the size you want and then crop the parts you want to hide (the Crop is non-destructive so you can still adjust it afterwards if needed).

Another way would be to use Layer clipping to limit the area of the image shown trough a rectangle (this works both in Designer and Photo). To do it draw a rectangle with the dimensions you want to fill with the image. Make sure the image overlaps the rectangle in the canvas, then drag the image layer over the rectangle layer in the Layers panel. The image is now only visible inside the rectangle area. To adjust the image without affecting the rectangle, click on it in the Layers panel (you may need to click on the arrow on the left of the thumbnail to expand the layers and select just the image layer), then scale and position it as you wish on the canvas.