You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Force 100% K black for imported SVG in Publisher

I'm creating a book that contains SVG graphics and musical scores (also SVG). Will be printed with digital.

The printing house expects that the text be 100% K, and not "rich black". This is easy, I do it, export in PDF X-1a will be great.

However, the logos and the scores are in RGB color space (#000000) - which also totally makes sense, as SVG is an RGB format.

My problem is that I cannot set that the RGB 000 be set as CMYK 0 0 0 100. I'm not sure how it really goes out. If the music part is converted to CMYK 20 30 40 80 or something "rich black", it will be bad.

Is there any way to make sure that what is black text/music in the SVG comes out as 100% Black in CMYK during export?

21 hours ago, briff said:

Is there any way to make sure that what is black text/music in the SVG comes out as 100% Black in CMYK during export?

The only way I know is setting up your Publisher document as Gray/8 (which also means that you could not have color in your publication). Note that when the document color mode is grayscale, you need to specify all native elements that you wish to print in pure black (including text) as Gray 0 (using the Grayscale color model of the Colors panel) -- using K100 would make all black elements four-color black on export.

Note however that there are printshops that use RGB workflow in which case you could include your RGB SVGs, specify all native black elements as RGB 0, 0, 0, export an RGB PDF, and the black elements would be converted to K100 by the printer. It is also possible to use a 3rd party utility (e.g. Adobe Acrobat Pro) to convert RGB 0, 0, 0 to K100. 

UPDATE: If you use Grayscale document, note that you have to explicitly specify Gray as the export color space, and you cannot use e.g. PDF/X-1a (it always converts everything to CMYK even if it lets you specify Gray as the color space). so you need to use the following settings:

image.png.ca1e8d6d6ff7dc06183c70f9d7310b12.png