You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A slight distraction but I believe in using whatever medium gives you the results you need to achieve.

There is a nifty little app called Context Free it requires learning a bit of code but even I can learn it so it's definitely not hard to get to grips with. The patterns and animations it can generate are neat. It's multi-platform and your creations can be exported as PNG or SVG.

https://www.contextfreeart.org/gallery/view.php?id=2913

image.png.85d6680cb64b8d1b2e3b74af5b41eb0d.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

5 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Adding any filter into the mix will ultimately rasterise the artwork. 

Worth remembering, because I hadn't. I'll be working with shapes for now, but the conversation is still interesting.

3 hours ago, firstdefence said:

A slight distraction but I believe in using whatever medium gives you the results you need to achieve.

Back when I used to have to produce results, that's how I worked. These days, the process is what has value to me, and the result gets posted to Instagram and mostly forgotten.

With Photoshop, I used to do some pretty cool things with svg text and JavaScript. Eager for the day we can use Python with Designer ;)

• Staff

Hi @spinhead,
I believe what you are looking for is a Blend Tool, which allows you to start with a shape (any shape) and blend it into another completely different along a defined number of steps and using different profiles (to define how the gap changes between the instances of the blend). Depending on the implementation, it may also let you attach or follow a specified path. Unfortunately this is not available in Affinity apps although has been requested quite a few times. You may want to add your voice to the existing feature request threads if this is indeed what you are trying to achieve.

24 minutes ago, MEB said:

I believe what you are looking for is a Blend Tool

Cool function, but not what I'm looking for. A blend tool fills in. What I do is make a change (or changes) and extend them to see where they go.

2 hours ago, spinhead said:

With Photoshop, I used to do some pretty cool things with svg text and JavaScript. Eager for the day we can use Python with Designer ;)

Apparently there is a suggestion that the scripting language would be JavaScript. No time frame as to when just a "working on it" comment.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Just now, Old Bruce said:

Apparently there is a suggestion that the scripting language would be JavaScript.

There may be a reason that's what Adobe uses. (Or maybe not.)

JavaScript is my kryptonite. Maybe I'll create a Py/js transmogrifier thingy.

1 hour ago, spinhead said:

Cool function, but not what I'm looking for. A blend tool fills in. What I do is make a change (or changes) and extend them to see where they go.

Maybe a Morphing Tool is what you are looking for. It blends images from one to another using keypoints you can set in both, the source and the target image. It is a combination of blending and warping. I had a Freeware Tool for it years ago that worked pretty well - also to morph in animations. Unfortunately I forgot its name. GIMP also had a function like that in its animation Plugin GAP (GIMP Animation Package).

4 minutes ago, spinhead said:

Maybe I'll create a Py/js transmogrifier thingy.

I'd like one of those, I have a cardboard box ready to hold it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

12 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

using keypoints you can set in both, the source and the target image.

The point is, I don't want to specify the target image. The artistic process here is to create small changes and watch them propagate toward some unknown result.

Do you have a link to your instagram that we can take a gander at, might help us understand the ununderstanbleness of this post 🤪

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, spinhead said:

The point is, I don't want to specify the target image. The artistic process here is to create small changes and watch them propagate toward some unknown result.

Probably fractal generators like Apophysis, Wonderworld Wonderland and Mandel Bulber (3D) would be interesting for you. Not for this project, but for aesthetic art with unknown results. You may possibly also find a generator for your certain project. I'm not sure. Maybe take a look at the fractal stuff you find e.g. on SourceForge.net. Also GIMP has at least a Flame Generator, an IFS-Fractal-Generator and a Fractal Explorer on board (menu "Filter" > "Render" > "Fractal").

Starting to get a sense of what you do now, in particular, I like the last one.

I use another app called Excentro I think would take your fancy...
image.png.1a9d04af8ec106c543e0d6bf5e6d2240.png

• Staff
7 hours ago, spinhead said:

Thanks for clarifying @spinhead. In that case you may want to try combining symbols and power duplicate which allows to apply transforms at both object and nodes level. Here's a simple example only transforming objects: