You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have combed the forum for this specific problem but there's nothing quite like this issue I'm having.

I cannot apply brushes to my vector lines anymore. It is happening on both my laptop and desktop. I have tried the pen tool and vector drawing tool. It also will not apply any customizations in the "Brush Editing Tool". Please let me know what I can do to fix this issue so that I can continue creating for my clients. This has literally caused me to halt my creativity as I've researched through the internet, videos, and the forum. I hope it's an easy solution.

Maybe I need to uninstall and reinstall my Affinity products?

If you can give us more information about what you are trying to do, and what is happening, then we can probably help you further.
For instance:

• What type of brush are you trying to ‘apply’?
  • Which brushes are you trying to ‘apply’?
  • How are you trying to ‘apply’ them?
  • What is the process you are using?
  • How would you expect that process to work?
  • How do things differ from those expectations?
  • What is greyed-out which you don’t think should be?
  • Are you getting any error messages?

The more details you can give, the more we can help you.

A full-screen screenshot - including your Brushes Panel and Context Toolbar - showing us the point at which things aren’t working would usually be useful.

Thank you for your response! 🙂

I want to say that I've used this feature successfully in the past, now it seems size variance and opacity just don't work anymore on either of my computers. I've tried pen tool and pencil tool for vector drawing. I noticed the original basic brushes have disappeared. I've rebooted. Closed the app and restarted. 

In Designer Persona.

I am using a pen and tried editing existing and custom brushes.

When I use any brush and attempt to change the settings so that the ends are thinner but as you can see, they are still just as thick on the ends. I expect it to correspond to the line I've drawn. Nothing is happening to the line I'm attempting to apply it to. I would expect the brush edits to work in existing brushes and new brushes.

No error messages. 

I'm using a mouse so I understand I need to be in velocity and not pressure. I've now tried both.

For New Brush: Brush Width works. Size Variance doesn't work. Body, Corners, Head Offset, and Tail Offset are all greyed out.

For Existing Brush: Brush Width works. Size variance doesn't work. Body, Corners, Head Offset, and Tail Offset are editable but won't apply.

Here are screenshots to help tell the story. 

Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 5.34.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 5.35.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 5.35.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 5.37.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 5.39.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 5.57.09 PM.png

Thanks for the extra information.
I can’t help much as I’m not a ‘brush expert’ but someone else may see this and be able to help further (there are some great ‘brush experts’ in the forums).

I’ve always changed the varying thickness of a brush by changing the Pressure curve in the Brushes Panel; have you tried that?

image.png.0e9f3ee22ff86be11da9db2687887e12.png

17 hours ago, Creativemedium said:

I'm using a mouse so I understand I need to be in velocity and not pressure. I've now tried both.

I am fairly certain that the information from drawing the curve is not retained. No pressure no velocity no angle etc. You really have to use a pressure curve like GarryP has stated and shown.

The information from drawing, like Velocity, is available for the Pixel Persona brushes.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 months later...