You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Image optimization for web

Looking for some direction on the best way to reduce file size and optimize images for web when using heavy raw photo files.

For example I have various raw images with weight of approx 30MG. I have been following the instructions in the tutorials to export files to jpgs to upload to my website however, when doing so the files are reduced significantly - so much so that the quality is poor. How can I keep good image quality and still reduce the file sizes to closer to max 500kb?

Thanks!

• Staff

Hi natclass313,

WWelcome to Affinity Forums :

You have to reduce the image size (pixel size) to a reasonable value. Depending on the camera, the image size in pixels can be extremely high. You can check the size of the images produced by your camera on the top left of the interface (see attached image) in Develop Persona. That info is also available in the same area in Photo Persona - just make sure you have the View Tool selected (hand icon).

Here's how to do it:

- open the RAW file, do any adjustements you may need there then click the Develop to go to the Photo Persona where you can process the image further if needed;

- in Photo Persona, go to menu File ▸ Export. Set the Size to 1500px x 1000px (this value is totally up to you and depends on how big you want to show your image when posted on a website), Resample to Bicubic or Lanczos and Quality to around 85, for example. If you look to the Estimated File Size near the bottom you will have a close idea of the size of the exported image. The values i mentioned should produce a JPG around 500kb (depending on the image).

- you may also want to remove EXIF/metadata from the photos before posting on the web. If so, on the Export dialog click on the More button and uncheck Embed metadata and only then click Export.

• 4 years later...

I actually find that Affinity programs don't do too great job with image optimizing. When I used to work on Mac I used this https://imageoptim.com/mac . Now, as a Win user I have a problem to find a similar good program that would make my jpg and png pictures more web friendly. If you know a good software, not a web software but a desktop one, please share!

EDIT:

What I found for now is https://nukesaq88.github.io/Pngyu/ Look like it does the same thing as Mac's ImageOptim.