La couleur est verte.
La couleur est jaune.

La couleur est noire.
La couleur est blanche.
La couleur est rouge.
La couleur est verte.
La couleur est jaune.
La couleur est bleue.

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

The artwork was produced using Affinity Designer, using shapes drawn using the Pen Tool for the colourful areas and a font that I made myself for the language-independent glyphs.

The illustration is a png file for the web.

Subject to finalizing the design, I hope to export a full size jpg file to upload to a web facility that will, for a fee, print and send by Royal Mail a custom hardcopy printed greetings card to me, that I can then frame for my art collection.

I am thinking of including, in the place inside the greetings card where the greeting usually is placed, the localization of the poem into French.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

56 minutes ago, William Overington said:

What distinguishes a PNG file ‘for the web’ from any other PNG file? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

28 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Possibly it's a smaller preview. He did mention sending a full-size JPG for printing.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

38 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Ah, nothing as far as I know.

In view of your comment I need to rewrite the sentence.

The original.

The new version.

The illustration is a png that I have produced so as to present the artwork on the web.

However, the Papier web facility to where I upload image files so as to get a hardcopy print in the form of the front of a custom greetings card produced on industrial quality printing machinery requires a jpg file. I thik that this is quite probably because (most? all?) digital cameras, including in particular digital cameras on mobile telephones, export an image as a jpg file, and the facility is indeed marketed asprovidimg photo cards.

So I am having available a facility to print my (hobbyist) artwork, as a - well the word isn't byproduct - from the mass market printing of photo cards.

A similar effect to the way that the emoji craze led to better support for characters encoded in plane 1 of the Universal Character Set to support emoji, yet it also helped support users of some languages too, which might not have had such good support but for the emoji craze.

I suppose that I could have used a jpg to upload here, but, and I don't know if this is right, I tend to think that where the image has glyphs as in text that a png is better.

William

I received an email from MoMA (Museum of Modern Art, New York) today.

It is about rare posters for sale.

There is a link.

https://store.moma.org/prints-artists/rare-posters

I noticed this one.

https://store.moma.org/prints-artists/rare-posters/ellsworth-kelly-red-yellow-blue-framed-poster

I note the size as 27.37h x 20.5w x .75"d

That seems to be in inches.

But that is the overall size, including the frame, and not knowing if any of the poster is hidden by the frame.

But I can have a go at estimating the actual size of the poster and seeking if that is a standard size.

Along the way I will try to find out how the poster was produced. For example, printed or silkscreen or what?

I was thinking of trying an "inspired by" version, not as a copy.

However, I am now thinking of trying to produce a PDF document of a poster version of the image from this thread. The original artwork is all vector so as it should work alright over resizing as such.

However, although it might never, in practice, ever get printed, I would like to try to make it have the best chance, so I need to look at what are standard sizes.

I think that it might be best to make two PDF documents, one to produce an A3 size poster, so not as big as a poster (should?) be, but probably straightforward to get a print, and the other full size, just in case chance favours the prepared hobbyist artist.

But there are many other posters on that page, so looking at their sizes may be helpful.

The current artwork is for a 7 inch by 5 inch greetings card and includes a bleed area on each edge.

I will need to find out if I need to adjust the aspect ratio for a poster.

William

Here is a test version of an A3 poster based on the above image and the localization text.

This is a test becuae I produced the design in Affinity Designer, then I wanted to include my name as author in the PDF document and I found that I could not do that in Affinity Designer, but I managed to do that by editing in Affinity Publisher.

There are some notes about this in another thread, starting with the following post.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/163902-setting-the-author-field-on-a-pdf-document/&do=findComment&comment=933589

I managed to transfer the design from the poster from the original greetings card size to A3 by grouping the items in the greetings card, then producing an svg file and then placing the syg file into an A3 document, then scaling while conservimng the aspect ratio, which resulted in a bit being lost from the right side, but that was only transparent background. 

William

test_with_poster_via_Affinity_Publisher_CMYK.pdf