You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layers stack suddenly stopped moving when repositioning layers.

Windows P.C. Dell Precision T1700.  Windows 10 Professional. Affinity Photo 1.10.5 PK 1342

This has only started happening yesterday and I have changed nothing.

On a document with many (80+) layers, the layer stack will not move when I try to move a layer up or down outside the visible extent of the layer panel and the active layer will not move past the visible layers.

If I use key strokes to move up or down the active layer moves past the limit of visible layers but the layer stack doesn't move to allow me to see where I am positioning the active layer.

So...the problem is basically that the layer stack will not move when dragging an active layer.

I have posted this as a bug as I have heard it also happens with Affinity Designer.

• Staff

Hi @Paul Clegg
Could you please attach a screen recording of this issue in action. The link below will advise you how this can be done. 
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/how-to/screen-record-in-windows 
If that does not work here is an alternative: https://screencast-o-matic.com/screen-recorder

Hello everyone who is trying to help me.

Some people have said that the stack is only to show the live layer and that may well be correct but prior to last weekend, I could move layers below the bottom layer in "Layers" panel and the layers below visible would scroll upwards so I could see where I was positioning the active layer.

This is a new fault/bug as I have been positioning layers as I describe for many months then suddenly it doesn't work.

I accept it's not the end of the world but to work manually moving 8 or so layers at a time so I can see where I am, when there may be 80+ layers is a pain.

I hope someone can help.  I repeat...this is a new fault and it is active on new documents and older saved documents.  FYI the document shown is new.

Thanks. Paul Clegg

• Staff

Have any Windows updates been installed since yesterday or have you installed any new applications etc? 

Please could you attach a screenshot of the Layer Options dropdown menu. 

After this, try going through the below steps to revert the application to it's default settings which may resolve your issue: 

1. Press Win + R and enter %APPDATA% and navigate to the 'Affinity' Folder. 

2. Right click the Designer/Photo/Publisher folder and compress the folder to ZIP to create a backup. 

3. On the application shortcut, click once onto the shortcut, hold down control and right click > open the application whilst still holding down control. 

4. This will prompt a new menu 'Clear User Data' with three boxes ticked, press the 'Clear' at the bottom right hand corner. 

5. Load the application back up to confirm if this has resolved the issue. 

The link below will advise you what is cleared and where assets are stored so they can be backed up.   

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/98906-what-exactly-do-the-clear-user-data-options-clear/&tab=comments#comment-529435   

Hello EmT, No, there have been no updates or installation of apps of any kind, this really did come out of the blue.

I'm a bit uncomfortable with the depth of technical stuff being suggested as I'm a user not a techy but I will have a go.  Just one question, if I get this wrong, will I lose Affinity Photo?

Blimey! I've just followed your suggested link and it's a bit overwhelming. I'll start the process but might back out if it's too risky. Like I said I'm a user not a techy.

By the way, for some reason the video showing Affinity Photo page and the Layers problem will not record the fly out menu showing that Auto Scrolling is checked...but it is checked. But I will try again...perhaps third time lucky! Just the same result! When I did the video the fly out menu was visible!  Sorry.  But Auto scroll is definitely ticked.