You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Strong exposure/tint compensation needed in develop persona

Hi there,

I recently noticed some funny behaviour in the develop persona.  Most raw files need 1-2 stops of exposure increase, and the tint in white balance needs to be in the +45 range (towards magenta).  The same files look and process okay in DPP without drastic adjustments.  I get the same behaviour with raw files from Canon 70D, 7D, and 400D (.CR2) and RP (.CR3).

When I do apply the strong exposure and tint compensations in Affinity Develop persona I end up with good results, so this funny behaviour is no big deal.  But When I first started using Affinity a few months ago these strong compensations weren't needed.

Did I change some type of setting somewhere?  Or is something else askew?

Thanks.  Arie

• Staff

Hi @ArieV,

Do you have a couple of sample RAW file you could attach?  

Also if you can open a RAW file and while still in Develop click, View>Assistant Manager and take a screenshot of those settings and attach it here?  There will always be some difference to how different apps display RAW data and some apps don't even display the RAW data, they display an embedded JPG but still, i wouldn't expect too much of a difference between apps when displaying the actual RAW data.

I did not touch the White Balance settings, but did adjust some of the other tonal settings, as seen in my screenshot. In the Assistance Manager, my settings are Take no action for Tone Curve and Exposure Bias. I want to control those. Even if you choose to have Photo apply those, you still must adjust the other settings. Photo will not automatically apply these, it gives us the RAW data with little to no intervention, so we can develop our RAW files as we want them to appear. We may want an accurate depiction of what we saw when we pressed the shutter, or an artistic, creative depiction. 

I don't see that much difference in what DPP provided.

2022-06-13_021336.jpg

2022-06-13_021741_AMsettings.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

9 hours ago, ArieV said:

.. and

A screenshot of the info panel of the raw file (showing all capture settings and active recipe in DPP) would help.

if you have any “picture profile” or adjustment active, DPP will respect them, whereas Affinity will ignore them (sharpening, color, saturation, …) leading to strong differences.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Hi @Ron P., the settings you used are roughly what I end up using.  Lots of exposure and a tint of around +43.  So yes it is possible to get a good result, and one that matches DPP, but it's weird that suddenly I have to resort to these values.  I'm trying to understand what's going on in order to get a better grasp on Affinity and my camera.

The funny thing is that until a few weeks ago, the default exposure was just about right (I was using, say -0.5 to 0.5) and the tint values were in the middle of the slider (typically +4 to +6).

I'm running Windows 11.

@NotMyFault, I shot this photo at 100 iso, f/7.1, 1/250 s, evaluative metering, no exposure compensation.

I understand that DPP uses things like picture styles and previous DPP processing parameters.  I used a standard picture style.  The file I supplied (and others in my catalog) do not have previous DPP processing values in the header.  I know this because DPP asks before it saves and overwrites old values.  In any case, if those values got out of whack it'd be DPP showing a strange result upon opening, and it's Affinity that shows the underexposure.

Hold the phone....  I just saw that my camera has the Auto Lighting Optimizer enabled.  I'm not sure how that happened.  I turned it off, tried a few test shots, and things look better exposure-wise.

But that still leaves the funny tint values.