You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer keeps crashing/closing

• Staff

Hi @DebA,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

I've seen this being reported once before, in the below thread -

In this report, the Windows User itself was found to be the cause of the crashing, so can you please try the following:

• Ensure that Windows is fully up to date, through Windows Updates in Settings
  • Check the below list of applications known to conflict with Affinity -
  • Create a New User Account on your PC, then install Affinity Designer on this account and try using the colour picker - does the app crash here please?

Many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

I saw that post as well. My Windows is up to date.

I also can't find any of the applications on that list on my computer. 

Since I can't drag the color picker my go around to make a pallete of colors from my artwork is to use create pallete from document.

I'm just learning the program so I don't know yet if it will crash from doing other things yet.

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know - and in regards to creating a new user account, what was the behaviour there please? :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

It took me a while but I created a new user acct on my PC and tested the color picker in Affinity and it worked just fine. I am not real good with computers so I can't explain it. I like the program a lot except so frustrated with this issue.

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me! This usually indicates either an issue with your current Windows User account - or perhaps a Third Party application installed on your PC, interfering with Affinity.

I'd recommend running an SFC scan, to check for Windows errors:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-system-file-checker-in-windows-365e0031-36b1-6031-f804-8fd86e0ef4ca

Also I'd like to request a list of all installed apps on your PC - can you please follow the below steps to generate this list from CMD/Powershell:

https://theitbros.com/how-to-get-list-of-installed-programs-in-windows-10/#:~:text=any text file%3B-,How to Get a,execute the following command%3A,-wmic product get

then attach a copy of this here for me? :)

Equally, if you wish, you can simply use the new user account with Affinity installed there, however I do understand this may not be ideal!

• Staff

Many thanks for running this scan and providing the list, it's certainly appreciated.

There's no obvious applications I can see that would affect this - however I do note you have multiple 'screen sharing' or remote connection software, which can interfere with the Colour Picker.

Can you please make sure any remote connection or screen sharing software is fully closed and then try colour picking in designer once more?

I also note you have emailed us directly regarding this, in order to stop multiple technical support members trying to resolve this issue over 2 platforms, we'll continue to support you via email, rather than here :)