You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Images only partially appearing in Exported PDFs

Hi there - I'm not sure if this is a bug or just user error but I've been having an issue with a couple of images being cropped off when exported to PDF.

These are the images as they appear in Affinity Publisher Preview Mode

668454169_Screenshot2022-06-06at12_38_27.png.6638b06a56b44faade44c44115512476.png

But when exported to PDF the bottom of the cover image is cropped off - like this

1449030901_Screenshot2022-06-06at12_39_43.thumb.png.eb8a4087b69b60e14a802fb7d51de8ca.png

This document is 200mm x 270mm but you can see from the barcode that this isn't just an issue of the full document resizing to fit A4 paper. Parts of the background image which appear in the Affinity preview have been cropped off, and the barcode appears in full.

However in both pages the background image is cropped off in the exact same place which leads me to believe that there is something wrong with the link to the original document. I've tried relinking the document again but it doesn't solve the issue.

This is the same in PDF Expert, Mac Preview and Adobe Acrobat Reader

Can you help me to troubleshoot why this is happening?

Thanks,
Nicola

• Staff

As the background texture in your image is just a bitmap image not a vector, this can be placed directly rather than embedded as an afdesign document. 

If you double click the background texture it will open up in a new tab, change to design persona and copy the background item using ctrl-c, flick back to your original publisher file in publisher persona and paste the item, then remove the embedded .afdesign document. Do this for both of them and export as normal, then right click to rasterise them both (they are already raster images) and it should resolve the export issue.

Alternatively if you have the image as a file, you can just place it in your document manually instead of using the embedded afdesign at all.

On 6/7/2022 at 12:38 PM, LeeThorpe said:

As the background texture in your image is just a bitmap image not a vector, this can be placed directly rather than embedded as an afdesign document. 

If you double click the background texture it will open up in a new tab, change to design persona and copy the background item using ctrl-c, flick back to your original publisher file in publisher persona and paste the item, then remove the embedded .afdesign document. Do this for both of them and export as normal, then right click to rasterise them both (they are already raster images) and it should resolve the export issue.

Alternatively if you have the image as a file, you can just place it in your document manually instead of using the embedded afdesign at all.

@LeeThorpe, aside your well working workaround suggestion:

• What is causing this issue of a visually manipulated Affinity document on export?
• Is there a known bug with Affinity documents inside Affinity documents?
• Does it matter, whether it is embedded or linked?

I also wonder because of this recent thread:

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2022 at 6:28 PM, LeeThorpe said:

Hi Nicola, 

To investigate this further would it be possible for you to use -this link-  to send us a copy of your project (saved as a package as shown below)?

Lee

image.png

Hi Lee, I have the same problem. Only nothing seems to work... Any ideas? @Affinity please solve this export to pdf bug. After all my work it seems I can't export it properly.

1038727750_Schermafbeelding2022-06-29om23_51_16.png.f5404ccd745740684e9950eceb4822bc.png

492411925_Schermafbeelding2022-06-29om23_50_47.png.71a9057f7296bd20787d836c2678fdb7.png

• 2 months later...
On 6/30/2022 at 11:40 AM, LeeThorpe said:

Hi Lisaaa, welcome to the forums, 

Did you try the same troubleshooting steps listed here?

Lee

Yes I did, and still almost all my exports have some kind of visible bug. I am going tot do a clean install of the software. But I am afraid Affinity just doesn't have an update for the newest Macbooks with MAC OS... (12.4+)

Below you see a Christmas card with some '???'. 

always something like this on my pfd exports, don't know why. .png

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here - the top portion of every image is corrupted (in one of several forms - black and white static, coloured lines, pure white, etc) upon a high quality (for print) PDF export.

See attached (I've drawn on the red arrows). 

Loaded Macbook Air M2 with Monterey 12.5.1, Affinity Publisher 1.10.5

Using the a low quality "Digital small size" preset works fine, and if I take the files back to my ancient (intel/High Sierra) mac and do a full size 400 dpi export there, that also works fine (and how I was able to send this magazine to the publisher!).

Tried a delete/reinstall like Lisaaa and this didn't fix the problem.

Darryl

export problem.jpg

@Kiwibonds

After reading your post I did some tests. I still have my old (and slow) Imac 2011 2,5 GHz Intel Core i5. I have affinity publisher 1.10.4 running on this Imac.

• Guess what? The same documents PDF's for print are tuning out the way they should on this old imac! No weird croppings or corrupted images here!

My new macbook pro: Apple chip M1, OS Monterey 12.6 and Affinity publisher 1.10.5.

• No PDF's for high quality prints turn out the way they should on the new macbook, there are weird croppings or corrupted images (like yours) in those PDF's. (The documents are the same I tried on the old imac.)

So, I think we now know the problem! It has got something to do with the new apple chip/OS Monterey and Affinity publisher 1.10.5

I would love to get an update, would even pay for it! I hope to hear from the company when we can expect this update?🙏

See screenprint images (same document) for the white cropping in my pdf. It is not in the pdf from the old imac, only in the new one.

Are I and @Kiwibonds the only ones having this problem?

Schermafbeelding 2022-09-25 om 21.22.42.png

old intel imac. affinity 1.10.4.png

new macbook M1 chip Monterey. affinity 1.10.5.png

No I am also having this problem with my new Mac mini M1 running Monterey 12.06 I have to export my files to the cloud and then save them on my old 2015 iMac. Very frustrating as I want to clear my desk of the old computer.

It only happens on print ready files with settings agreed with my printer. 

image.thumb.png.ee9ce281a8228bd4a2f0c30b498b107e.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Lee

I have uploaded the package there are two final pdf’s v7 is the one I had to save on the old computer to send to the printer the Mac mini version is the one with the problem. The pdf settings are the same and from the printer - though I wonder if they are unnecessarily high resolution.
Helen

I don’t knowingly rasterise images. I use the place image command. I never had a problem for the last year or so of designing this magazine or when I used Indesign since 2018. It has only been since I changed to the new M1 Mac mini earlier this year. I have used the same printer since I started. As I say it works fine on the old computer and for small size pdf settings.