You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Any way to force everything to paths when exporting to SVG?

Does anyone know if there is a way to force all elements converted to SVG 'path' tags rather than primitive shapes such as 'rect', 'circle' etc. Converting a simple shape elements to curves doesn't help to my surprise. Even adding extra nodes to e.g. a rect or circle shaped curve still doesn't force it exported as a path in SVG file.

It is extremely critical for us due to nature of the project. Any ideas please? I was so happy to escape Adobe CC train and last I want is to jump back just for the sake of SVG exports :(

• Staff

I'm surprised that convert to curves then adding extra nodes doesn't force path export? We only try to detect trivial rect/ellipse cases so if there aren't the expected number of nodes then it should fail and export as a path... We can certainly look to add explicit control for this in the future :)

EDIT - Ah, okay, we're stripping collinear points before performing the shape-matching test, so a rectangle with extra points will always be a rectangle... A circle with an extra node does fail the shape-match test though and exports as a path. We'll add the option in the future - hopefully a beta version in the not-too-distant future.

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks Matt, that would be great!

I think you should export all curve/outline type elements as paths with no extra checks. This way standard shapes can be exported as SVG primitives and users can convert them to curves if they need them as paths in SVG. At least this is what is happening in some other vector editors.

• 5 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/21/2015 at 6:43 AM, MattP said:

We'll add the option in the future - hopefully a beta version in the not-too-distant future.

8 years later and I'm still waiting...  Please consider adding this. 

I hit this problem every few weeks when I export something that I know is a path, but it comes out as a circle or rect in the SVG. It really matters for my particular use case because I need the output to be a path for further processing.

It could be argued that this is actually a bug. Designer shouldn't really be changing my design unless I ask it to.  

Surely it can't be that hard to add an "Optimise paths" option (for example) on the SVG export dialogue, which can be checked by default to preserve the existing behaviour.  But when unchecked it should bypass the optimisation code.

• 2 months later...

Hi.

The same here...

I also need to export the paths strictly as <path> in SVG. Because of further processing in another software.

Please, add this function.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by AGluk