You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dark portions appear when adjusting images (HW acceleration)

I have noticed that while editing some photos, certain portions of the image will clip black when making some types of adjustments. In the example attached, changing highlight or shadow saturation in Split Toning from 0% to any other value immediately produces dark spots in areas that might not otherwise be directly affected by the adjustment. I have included DxDiag info for my system, as well as two screenshots of the image and the afphoto file. Adjusting the hue for each setting does not correct the issue, though may change it's behavior slightly. This happens with other setting too, but I can't recall them specifically and will add them as I find them.

AP Version: 1.10.5.1342

Computer: MS Surface Book 2 15" (intel graphics with GTX 1060 dedicated renderer)

Reproducible: Yes, observed in multiple files.

HW Acceleration: Observed when HWA is enabled (regardless of renderer selected). Not observed when HWA is disabled.

Observed Previously: Not on older versions, but I have only been adjusting settings like this recently.

Black Clipping.jpg

No Black Clipping.jpg

DxDiag.txt 2022-05-08_15_05.49_02.afphoto

4 hours ago, MrButton said:

HW Acceleration: Observed when HWA is enabled (regardless of renderer selected). Not observed when HWA is disabled.

Hi, you have already identified the probable cause. It seems gpu related, so you can try to update the gpu driver, or deactivate HWA.

As a general hint, the photo you have uploaded is really nice, but I won’t post children’s photos in public forums like these. You have no control who loads them and uses them.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

4 hours ago, DWright said:

Even with the latest drivers installed for the 10 series this issue with the shadows remains I recommend turning off the OpenCL acceleration.

You know, I've seen "just disable HW acceleration" given as a "solution" in multiple places around the forum and it gets kind of frustrating. I have a system that is supposedly supported. I have updated my drivers. And you know what? The funny thing is that if I use the "Photo Persona" in Publisher, I can edit split toning with HW acceleration enabled no problem. So what, is it the bit depth or the color space I'm working in? There has to be more to this than just "disable HW acceleration".

17 minutes ago, MrButton said:

There has to be more to this than just "disable HW acceleration".

There is and the Devs are working on it but for now, some solutions are simply "disable HW acceleration"

6 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

but I won’t post children’s photos in public forums like these. You have no control who loads them and uses them.

I don't want to live in your world.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

16 minutes ago, MrButton said:

So what, is it the bit depth or the color space I'm working in?

At this point only you know the color space and bit-depth of the Publisher document, but it seems unlikely it would be RGBA/32 as your .afphoto document is.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

21 minutes ago, carl123 said:

I don't want to live in your world.

I live on the same planet, in Germany, and here we have some more strict laws about personal data, especially photos, and especially photos of underage people. 

These legislations might come as a surprise to those living in UK, or US, where the legal system differs in many aspects.

In Germany, you need to ask for explicit approval before taking pictures, or use them commercially, or post them on public websites. This restricts parents, too. One teenage girl of 14 years sued their parents to stop publishing baby images of her on Facebook against her wish, and won the case.

PS: found a link to that topic. It was in Austria, but the law is very similar in Germany. You may need a translation app/service, source is in German.

https://www.cnet.de/88166045/tochter-verklagt-eltern-wegen-facebook-fotos/

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

11 hours ago, carl123 said:

There is and the Devs are working on it but for now, some solutions are simply "disable HW acceleration"

You know honestly if that is actually the case I can accept that and wait for an update.

10 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

At this point only you know the color space and bit-depth of the Publisher document, but it seems unlikely it would be RGBA/32 as your .afphoto document is.

I guess what I meant was "could color space or bit depth be the 'break it' factor" in this document. More rhetorical than anything since I wouldn't expect someone to have root cause on this (past HW acceleration of course). I'm going to monkey around and see if I get the same results working in different spaces.

15 hours ago, DWright said:

Even with the latest drivers installed for the 10 series this issue with the shadows remains I recommend turning off the OpenCL acceleration.

Converting from RGB/32 to RGB/16 resolved the issue. Converting back to RGB/32 did not bring the issue back which is not surprising since I would assume that some color information is thrown away during conversion. Anyway, this to me is an acceptable work around since I don't currently care to maintain 32-bit depth after processing my raw files. I will move forward for now with RGB/16 as the default output profile.

7 hours ago, MrButton said:

Anyway, this to me is an acceptable work around since I don't currently care to maintain 32-bit depth after processing my raw files. I will move forward for now with RGB/16 as the default output profile.

James Ritson has mentioned several times that RGB/32 is for specialized workflows, and that most users should not be using it, so switching your Develop processing to RGB/16 is probably the right choice.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1