You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

can't import my brushes into AP

These are Designer vector brushes. You can't see them in Photo, or Designer Pixel persona. You need to import in Designer, and activate Designer Persona.

Screenshot 2022-06-04 at 22.10.16.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Since they can't be used, AP should not permit importing Designer "vector" brushes, but annoyingly it does. One consequence of this is the vector_brushes.propcol file in AP's Application Support folder can get bloated with lots of useless MB's of data.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, kat said:

How do I know they're AD brushes

The supplier should tell you whether they're raster or vector. If they don't, try importing into Designer first, as it can handle either kind. When you import them the message will tell you what format they are.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, kat said:

How do I know they're AD brushes, look the same as the others. Any way to convert them to AP?

I do not know of any way of telling what kind of brushes they are from just looking at the file, nor of any way to convert them to pixel brushes that AP can use.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 hours ago, R C-R said:

I do not know of any way of telling what kind of brushes they are from just looking at the file, nor of any way to convert them to pixel brushes that AP can use.

Other than renaming the file to indicate it's app affiliation such as "AD Draw Persona Brushes - Image Brushes" or Affinity can use the Brush Tool icons Untitled.png.b38591f81adce64f722829705b88b815.png    image.png.662783baf2daf1596cd820fa10ae52c6.png for the different brushes.

As for converting to pixel brushes, you have to consider an Affinity pixel image brush has a texture that is rigid, you cannot define start and end caps and subsequently a middle.

Because image brushes in their pixel versions do not follow curves i.e. they are not bendy, they act more like stamps, instead of fluid brush strokes.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

OT WARNING!

Odd little aside! I have these brushes (along with a few others) in AD, in a set called "Images". I have no idea where they came from, but I do know they were also in DrawPlus! 

Does anyone know if these brushes came with AD?

Also, is there is a way to export and convert DrawPlus brushes to use in AD?

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

There were brushes that came with earlier versions of Affinity Designer that were not included in subsequent versions.

These were the image brushes
image.png.95967e8ed71b2d586faaf3a311e26a7a.png

Conversion en masse of DrawPlus brushes is not possible but you could make a document full of brush strokes that could be used to create individual brushes in Affinity Designer via the Brushes Panel.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

There were brushes that came with earlier versions of Affinity Designer that were not included in subsequent versions

Conversion en masse of DrawPlus brushes is not possible but you could make a document full of brush strokes that could be used to create individual brushes in Affinity Designer via the Brushes Panel.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if these had actually come with AD, or if someone had found a way to convert the brushes from DrawPlus. (I do tend to collect all sorts of bits and bobs, and I can never remember where they came from!)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

36 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if these had actually come with AD, or if someone had found a way to convert the brushes from DrawPlus. (I do tend to collect all sorts of bits and bobs, and I can never remember where they came from!)

Yes I'm a bit of a digital hoarder hence the 8 TB external HDD lol!

8 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Other than renaming the file to indicate it's app affiliation such as "AD Draw Persona Brushes - Image Brushes" or Affinity can use the Brush Tool icons Untitled.png.b38591f81adce64f722829705b88b815.png    image.png.662783baf2daf1596cd820fa10ae52c6.png for the different brushes.

By "can" do you mean they (who?) could but have not assigned these icons to *.afbrushes files, or something else?

Even if Affinity did that for the brush sets sold through their store, what about brushes that come from other sources like via the resources forum or your own Affinity_Toobs one?

There has to be something in the *.afbrushes file itself that lets the Affinity app know which kind it is -- otherwise the installed message could indicate which kind it was or know where to store it, but although I have in the past asked the staff what that might be, they have not been willing or able to say what it might be.

That means the only way for users to know for sure is to import the file & see what the message says, but that is not at all user friendly! :39_angry:

Affinity Photo