You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Good afternoon.  Using affinity photo or designer I would like to give the letter of this font an individual colour/flood fill for each letter and a I cannot see a way to achieve this.  At the moment it is just an outline font (Agent orange) even when I convert it to curves I cannot see a way to flood colour in the letters.
I would be grateful for any solutions please.  Cheers John 411638817_BOWLSJIM.jpg.8811cff099897961aeb884e0b22357de.jpg

AMD Ryzen 7 5800 X. Nvidia GeForce RTX3060 64Gb Ram
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3447) Home
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for iPad Pro 10.5  • iPad OS 17.3.1

I think the easiest way, if you want a vector result, would be to draw coloured shapes – with the Pen Tool – which cover the area needed to be coloured and put those shapes behind the text.

Alternatively you could copy the text, convert the copied text to curves, and manipulate the copied shapes in some way (difficult to say without having the shapes at hand) but that might take more time than just drawing the shapes.

If you want a pixel result then the Flood Fill Tool would be a good start.

Use Designer

• Copy text
  • convert to curves
  • separate curves (becomes invisible, choose outline view mode, or temporary apply stroke)
  • give individual colors to curves
  • reverse sequence of layers, smaller on top, large below (or nest them)

12D7F2D1-50AC-44E1-8C26-26E84E57478A.png

DDA3A7C4-BCBE-4725-8446-5A342D44FC78.png

outline colored.afdesign

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Hi pioneer!

A solution for Designer and Photo: As you say, you have an outline font. So convert your text to curves (right click on it and click "Convert to Curves"). You will get a Layer Group, containing as many layers as you have letters. Select all letters (hold Shift and click each layer in the Layers Panel (except the Group Layer). Go to the Geometric functions and click "Add" to make all letters one layer. Take a pattern (texture), image or a layer filled with colour (whatever you want) on a seperate layer and nest it to the bottom of the layer with the letters: drag the pattern/colour layer to the right bottom of the layer with the letters and release the mouse button. Then the pattern/colour should fill your outline text.

Edit: Sorry, the first lines I wrote were obsolete in this case.

Thanks to all for the speedy replies, I will give these suggestions a try.  Cheers John

Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3447) Home

Or combine vector + pixel to maintain the the vector contour:
(the pixel selection for the fill bucket requires to have the inner parts subtracted (e, o, a …))

1589709553_outlinetextfillcolor.thumb.jpg.a6284c6ec14a3d158499d6ad03dc3d99.jpg

4 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

Then the pattern/colour should fill your outline text.

Wouldn't the colour object not only fill the font as is, without filling the missing parts?

1592293104_outlinetextfillnestedobject.thumb.jpg.b4dfb2a2d6d0f04cbb31d95bce2d9459.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

15 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Wouldn't the colour object not only fill the font as is, without filling the missing parts?

1592293104_outlinetextfillnestedobject.thumb.jpg.b4dfb2a2d6d0f04cbb31d95bce2d9459.jpg

It would fill the outlines. I thought that this would be what pioneer wanted to do, because he chose an outline font. But I see, I should have read more carefully.

Thanks to all for the speedy replies, I will give these suggestions a try.

@NotMyFault

Looks like a good way forward, however sadly but i am not sure how to action this
 separate curves (becomes invisible, choose outline view mode, or temporary apply stroke)

Sorry I am in my mid 70's and nothing come easy nowadays.  Thank you for the file.

Cheers John

7 hours ago, pioneer said:

Thanks to all for the speedy replies, I will give these suggestions a try.

@NotMyFault

Looks like a good way forward, however sadly but i am not sure how to action this
 separate curves (becomes invisible, choose outline view mode, or temporary apply stroke)

Sorry I am in my mid 70's and nothing come easy nowadays.  Thank you for the file.

Cheers John

These are functions in the Laye>Geometry Menu. See screenshot . Unfortunately these function are undocumented in help. (Searching for merge gave no result)

Screenshot 2022-06-04 at 22.39.38.png

Edited by NotMyFault
replaced iPad by desktop screenshots

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

1 hour ago, NotMyFault said:

See screenshot from iPad,

Do you have more than one Curve selected?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 hours ago, pioneer said:

I am not entirely sure what @NotMyFault meant about separate curves but in AD on my Mac, after Using Convert to Curves (from the AD layer menu or the toolbar with the text selected with the Move Tool active) for an outline font like Agent Orange I get a Group object filled with "(Curves)" objects (note the plural form, indicating there is more than one curve in that object).

To separate each of those "(Curves)" objects into individual "(Curve)" objects, I have to select all of them & use the Divide boolean. After doing that, I can set the Fill & stroke colors for each "(Curve)" however I want. There is still work to be done to remove thinks like the cutouts in the O & R of the "ROLL UP" text, but ROLL UP.afdesign is what I get at that point.

I hope that helps.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

35 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I am not entirely sure what @NotMyFault meant about separate curves (...)

(...) use the Divide boolean.

Here I have chosen* "Separate curves" which seems to cause the same result like the "Divide boolean".
(* which made the option grayed out in my screenshot)

1292827774_menulayergeometrymergeseparate.thumb.jpg.644583a54efb111071a6afae5cbd20d3.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

15 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Here I have chosen* "Separate curves" which seems to cause the same result like the "Divide boolean".

Thanks for the clarification.

One thing, though: When I temporarily downloaded & installed the Agent Orange font; used in my ROLL UP example; & used either Divide or Separate Curves, nothing disappeared because even though they had no stroke color they all had a black fill, like in this second  ROLL UP 2.afdesign example that began with frame text instead of Art text like in the first one.

Only if I used an ordinary (not outline) font like Arial did anything disappear.

So I wonder what font you were using as a starting point in your example.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Wow, I thought there might of been a quick answer to this that I was missing, but nevertheless thanks to all for contributing I am very grateful.  Cheers John

With everybody's help in particular R C-R's  explanation I have achieved what I set out to do.  Once again and thank you all. Cheers John

rcr.png.d05315eb57f893501779faf63af7cb49.png