You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Crashes Frequently?

Hi All,

I've recently fully switched to using Affinity Photo as my primary editing software, but I've noticed that doing certain actions I would normally do with ease in Photoshop cause Affinity Photo to essentially lock up and crash. Most commonly I've noticed that the various selection tools, marquee tools, etc are what trigger these crashes most. 

I'm not working with large files for the most part. The most recent crash I experienced was a 7x7inch canvas, with 2 small, pasted pixel layers that had 2-color sketches in them I brought in from an email. 

I selected a relatively small area of one layer (I'm removing the white background) - and Affinity started rendering/buffering w/e, and then stopped responding for well over 20 mins. Eventually I just force quit the application. 

I am running Affinity Photo v 1.10.5.1342
Processor; Intel Core i7-9700k CPU @ 3.60GHz
RAM; 64gb
System; x64-based processor / 64-bit operating system
OS; Windows 11

My question is; What could be causing these lock ups, and/or how can I prevent this in the future?

Thank you!

Also try updating your video drivers from the manufacturer (including Intel if appropriate).

I was very dubious (and rather scathing in my comments here TBH) when this was happening to me as my pc is always kept updated, but after doing both I have had no problems.

• 1 month later...

Hi again, sorry to bump an old topic but I'm still encountering the same issues... 

Have done all of the above, everything is entirely up to date. I'm able to render hours of footage in AVID with no crashes but for some reason I cant handle Affinity Photo...

I have two layers I am adjusting perspective warp on, and the first one I can accomplish. The second one I try to adjust, Affinity Photo will allow me to click and move things, but it doesnt update the adjustments, and wont let me "apply" anything... And then it goes unresponsive. 

• 5 months later...

I'm having the same problem in Photo, particularly when using the marquee tool (which should be one of the most basic functions as far I'm concerned). It started only recently however, and as I type this I recall that I updated to Win 11 also only recently. I'll try changing settings recommended above and go back to Win 10 (if I can) if that doesn't work. It's gotten to where I don't know if I can rely on Photo to do much other than adjust settings and crop, essentially making my purchase a waste. 

3 hours ago, Being Green said:

I'm having the same problem in Photo, particularly when using the marquee tool (which should be one of the most basic functions as far I'm concerned). It started only recently however, and as I type this I recall that I updated to Win 11 also only recently. I'll try changing settings recommended above and go back to Win 10 (if I can) if that doesn't work. It's gotten to where I don't know if I can rely on Photo to do much other than adjust settings and crop, essentially making my purchase a waste. 

Do you have hardware acceleration on. Maybe turn it off if you do. Edit->Preferences->Performance. And are your graphics drivers up to date?

I have had problems using the rectangular Marquee Tool in AP V1 on a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro using a 5 year old Dell Precision laptop. After simply making several rectangular selections on a 3300 x 3300 pixel image, the tool would stop working. By trial and error I found that if, after the Marquee Tool would fail, I clicked on the Crop Tool and then back on the Marquee Tool, functioning of the Marquee tool would be restored.

I have only been working with AP for a few days and have spent a lot of time working around buggy behavior. Over the next few days I will be working on a new project that I consider from a computing perspective to be pretty simple. This involves basic editing of CMYK images up to 40” x 40” at 300 dpi. I am hoping AP is up to the task. If not, I have old but rock solid versions of Photoshop running on old well maintained equipment that I can fall back on.

I am very disappointed that any company would release such buggy software and charge money for it.

Affinity Photo and Design V1. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Dell Precision 7710 laptop. Intel Core i7. RAM 32GB. NVIDIA Quadro M4000M.

5 minutes ago, henryanthony said:

I have had problems using the rectangular Marquee Tool in AP V1 on a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro using a 5 year old Dell Precision laptop. After simply making several rectangular selections on a 3300 x 3300 pixel image, the tool would stop working. By trial and error I found that if, after the Marquee Tool would fail, I clicked on the Crop Tool and then back on the Marquee Tool, functioning of the Marquee tool would be restored.

I have only been working with AP for a few days and have spent a lot of time working around buggy behavior. Over the next few days I will be working on a new project that I consider from a computing perspective to be pretty simple. This involves basic editing of CMYK images up to 40” x 40” at 300 dpi. I am hoping AP is up to the task. If not, I have old but rock solid versions of Photoshop running on old well maintained equipment that I can fall back on.

I am very disappointed that any company would release such buggy software and charge money for it.

Have you tried with hardware acceleration off? Edit->Preferences->Performance. Maybe see if your graphics drivers are up to date first. 

1 hour ago, henryanthony said:

I have had problems using the rectangular Marquee Tool in AP V1 on a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro using a 5 year old Dell Precision laptop.

55 minutes ago, RichardMH said:

Have you tried with hardware acceleration off? Edit->Preferences->Performance.

If needed, for V1 Affinity Win apps this tool can disable OpenCL hardware performance acceleration too ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

My computer system and drivers are fully up to date. Ongoing, if I have any further problems I will try disabling hardware acceleration. It really seems stupid that I have an Nvidia Quadro graphics card to take advantage of the latest tech and have to turn it off for a newly developed program. But, oh well, it's an is what it is situation. We shall see.

FYI, I have been running Unreal Engine on this rig for over a year with absolutely no problems. A little slow here and there but I expect that. Unreal can be very resource intensive.

I have also ran UE on an HP built in 2010 and a crap Nvidia GTX 750 Ti that I paid $50 for on eBay without any problems as well. It can take over 7 hours to load certain files with over 10,000 shaders to compile but that old HP works through it and never fails.

My oldest computer is XP and up to date as much as possible which means not up to date at all and it has never given me even one problem running Adobe CS2 for years and years. Hard drive failed some years ago and it was replaced.

Affinity Photo and Design V1. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Dell Precision 7710 laptop. Intel Core i7. RAM 32GB. NVIDIA Quadro M4000M.

3 hours ago, stuck said:

If you want to be at least partially up to date, you can run CS2 on Win 10.

Yes, but I would have to pay for Win 10. There is no free upgrade path from XP as far as I know. I had CS2 on my HP Win 7 circa 2010 machine that crashed and Adobe will no longer activate the programs I paid for but have the original installation discs for. When I initially wanted to installed it, Adobe provided installation media that did not require activation to registered purchasers of CS2. I stupidly did not back up those files or lost them. There may be a few more boxes in my basement I can look through. HP hard drive crashed, I upgraded it to WIN 10 but can't install CS2. My XP machine still has CS2 on it and I have it backed up but, booting from the back up drive Adobe complains the hardware is different from the original installation and will only allow a 30 day trial. There is a back up program, Macrium Reflect, that I believe will work around this limitation but that is a whole other can of worms. I may get to that some day but now need to get work done and can't afford an Adobe subscription at this time. LOL, I have Photoshop 5 running on an old Dell Inspiron my kid used in college. I could use that but would rather use my Dell Precision laptop :)

I have similar problem, but it has started around month ago. Very slow work flow and it crashes all the time... 🤔

I have no more patient. I tried switch off Graphic-card acceleration dithering and precise clipping but nothing works.

Maybe it is because of some AF update? If some one had similar problem and solved it, please let me know.

Processor CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 1700 2.99 GHz (boost 3.20)
RAM - 32 GB
Graphics - Radeon RX 580 Series 4096 MB
Hard-drive - SSD

I have PS with package of Lightroom but I used to prefer AF much more, but right now I probably try to switch to PS 🤨

investing in v2 it is to risky in those circumstances