You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why is this simple vector exporting SVG as images?

What were your Export settings (including those under More...)?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The only way I can get curves in the SVG export is to change Rasterize in the More section of the Export dialog to Nothing from Unsupported Properties. This makes me wonder where or how the curves were made originally. Is this a copy and paste from some other application or the web?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

There is no need to change the text to curves, there is an option in Export: More... options to export text as curves...

image.png.21e7dd5f2f24ca1221437a9623933d12.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

36 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

The only way I can get curves in the SVG export is to change Rasterize in the More section of the Export dialog to Nothing from Unsupported Properties.

Same here. But when I do that I get what appears to be exactly the same "(Curves)" object in the SVG as in the original .afdesign file, but as a child of a group layer that is a child of a parent "(Layer)" object, when I open the exported SVG in AD again.

So I do not see what is forcing anything in the caf.afdesign file to be converted to an image.

6 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

There is no need to change the text to curves, there is an option in Export: More... options to export text as curves...

On my Mac using that option doesn't prevent the export from converting the "(Curves)" layer to an "(Image)" layer in the supplied  caf.afdesign file.

Does that work for you with that file?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I have never used the more settings, usually I just export SVG and the curves remain as curves. And the text gets converted if I had ticked that box (and there is text)

However in this case it doesn't export as curves.

So I tried again with more settings set as above and the same happens.

(however as mentioned there is no text just curves anyway)

1 minute ago, Mr Lucky said:

So I tried again with more settings set as above and the same happens.

Change the curves layer mode to normal !

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

svg-lighten.jpg.48cf19882b2394d36cf51bd6a1e852c4.jpg

Well spotted! Yes, that is the culprit.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

On my Mac using that option doesn't prevent the export from converting the "(Curves)" layer to an "(Image)" layer in the supplied  caf.afdesign file.

Does that work for you with that file?

I doubt Affinity Designer will process the option to convert text to curves seeing as how there is no text to convert, I added the comment becuase it's obvious that text was converted to curves prior to export. This does however beg the question of why Affinity Designer can convert text to curves as part of an SVG export but cannot maintain those curves when curves already exist within the document.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 minute ago, firstdefence said:

I added the comment becuase it's obvious that text was converted to curves prior to export.

No it wasn't. It was all started as curves. Or rather shapes that were then converted to curves. No text.

Just now, Mr Lucky said:

No it wasn't. It was all started as curves. Or rather shapes that were then converted to curves. No text.

oh just assumed you'd typed text and then converted to curves for some reason.

9 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

This does however beg the question of why Affinity Designer can convert text to curves as part of an SVG export but cannot maintain those curves when curves already exist within the document.

Nope. What it can not do is maintain curves as curves in an SVG export when the blend mode of the exported curve is set to anything other than Normal. But I do not know enough about the SVG format to say if this is a limitation of that format or a bug in Affinity.

Affinity Photo 

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

But I do not know enough about the SVG format to say if this is a limitation of that format or a bug limitation in Affinity.

As I often said, Affinity supports just a very limited subset of the SVG specification, so to say just the bare bones. - So instead of importing/exporting all blend modes for the SVG format on a plain vector descriptive basis, it instead generates/creates most of these on export then as rasterized images. And AFAI recall it also can't import/parse in SVG blend modes the right way at all, as far as the graphics is not defined as embedded base64 images in an SVG code!

For SVGs handling of blend modes see for example ...

Note: of course it's implementation wise much easier to deal with and handle raster data images here, instead of parsing in & interpreting (importing) and generating (exporting) plain vector based SVG blend modes!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2