You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

crop and resample not working as shown in the tutorial

I have a foto with 5312px x 2988px and 96dpi, which is 73" x 41" wide.

According to the tutorial when I click crop and choose resample, I am supposed to enter Units= Inch and the wanted picture size (i.e. 10" x 10").

See Screenshot 1

After that I choose Dpi= 300 and click enter.

see Screenshot 2.

Now the size of the picture has changed! This is not what the tutorial shows. The picture size should not change and also the crop frame is much too big! The original pic was 73" x 41" wide and 10" x 10" should be much smaller.

see Screenshot 3

Now I drag the cropframe to just show the small hut on the left. The picture size doesn' change, it shows 41" x 41". But remember,  I chose 10" x 10"!

see Screenshot 4

Now I enter the wanted size again, 10" x 10". The DPI stays at 300 but the crop info now shows 720 x 720px. That is not what I want, it should stay at 3000 x 3000px.

See the final result "croped Picture.jpg" and the Info from IrfanView in Screenshot 5

Can anybody help me and explain it to me? Is this a Bug?

This was originally reported in the Designer Forum. Sorry for that.

Screenshot 1.jpg

Screenshot 2.jpg

Screenshot 3.jpg

Screenshot 4.jpg

croped Picture.jpg

Screenshot 5.jpg

3 hours ago, Klaus_A_D said:

crop and resample not working as shown in the tutorial

Can you give us a link to that tutorial please?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 6/3/2022 at 1:19 AM, Klaus_A_D said:

I have a foto with 5312px x 2988px and 96dpi, which is 73" x 41" wide.

Are you sure about your dimensions because  5312/96 = 55", 2988/96 = 31.125" 

I would recommend a different approach that works on iPad and Desktop versions, instead :-

1. Use Document->resize document, deselect resample as you do not want the image resampled, change the units to pixels, THEN change DPI from 96 to 300 THEN click resize.

2. Select resize document again then change units back to inches, click resize.

By doing this you have change DPI from 96->300 without resampling the image so all your original pixels are still intact.

3. Now use the crop tool as desired.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

4 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

From their original screenshots, it looks like 72dpi, not 96dpi.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi @Klaus_A_D,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

I can confirm this is the expected behaviour when using the 'Resample' mode -  as this applies both a crop & resample to your image, and is not constrained to your original size or aspect ratio for the image.

When inputting different DPI or sizes for the Resample crop, the crop overlay will change in size & position to update to the new sizes, meaning you may need to manually correct the crop area after setting this size.

Provided you are only dragging the crop handles after setting these values, they should remain consistent regardless of the size of the crop area itself.

However - I can also confirm there appears to be a bug on Windows with this tool currently, causing the difference in behaviour from the Tutorial recorded on a Mac.

You should certainly be able to update the DPI here, without it affecting the physical crop size. I've tried a few different methods on Windows, but it appears as though it force reverts to 72 DPI incorrectly & also rescales the crop size depending on the DPI value entered - neither of which should happen.

This certainly isn't correct & therefore I'm logging a bug with our team now. I hope this helps!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

10 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

It is most likely in 72 dpi. That old Windows versus Mac thing bites us again.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.