You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cleaning up old photographs

Did you try the InPainting Tool?  In addition to it, I would use the Clone tool to select similar areas to the damaged ones on the children themselves and brush the individual corrections in using small increments.  Blemish removal should prolly work well enough on the background  Restoring old damaged photos is a tedious and time-consuming  and multi-step process.  Could you post the image so it can be downloaded?  That way some of us could show you what we would do.

I did a screen grab of the boys' faces and did a quick and dirty "fix" on that.  I mostly used the InPainting Tool set to a size only slightly larger than the individual segment of a blemish.  For a few areas, I used the Clone Tool with a low opacity and a Hardness of zero.  In addition I used the Burn tool set on Mid-Tones and 5% opacity to add a little definition to the boys' eyes.

Like I said, it's slow and tedious but it can be done with patience.  Or perhaps someone with a has a quicker easier method will chime in.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10351644/kids.jpg

Your photo has some severe scratching, so I'm not sure this will work for all of the marks, but it does well for dust and particles:

Create a duplicate of the layer that contains the photo, and put it above the original

Apply a Gaussian blur to the top layer

Apply a Layer Mask to the top layer, and fill with black

Using the brush with white on the mask (not on the blurred photo), paint the individual blemishes

This is a non destructive method that requires some trial and error to determine the best type and amount of blurring, brush size, etc.

• 3 years later...

Hey, recently I've started doing old photos restoration to earn some extra money and since I don't have any portfolio I began restoring some old photos that I've found on google.

Yours was one of them. I hope you don't mind that I use this one as my portfolio and I hope you like the result.

rec1.jpg

• 11 months later...