You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Using Tons of Memory & Slow

Hi, I hope I'm in the right place! I've been using Affinity Publisher for over a year now and love it. However, with the latest document I'm working on, the application has been incredibly slow. I'm working from a 14-inch 2021 MacBook Pro, with an M1 Chip and 32 GB of memory. My document is currently in grey-scale colors, primarily text based (no images yet), and about 7 single facing pages. I've worked with much larger documents on Publisher with no issue. I've tried both restarting the application and my computer. No other applications are open on my computer except for Affinity Publisher. And when I open Publisher, it's super slow just to open (before I even select my file to work with). Lots of spinning beachball stuff happening. And at this point, when I'm working on my document, I'll type one sentence in a text-box and then it'll freeze for about 30 seconds and I have to wait for it catch up. What can I do? I've never had this issue with Publisher before, but I don't want to poke around willy-nilly and end up losing my work. Thank you!

Welcome to the forums @amealz,

Off the top of my head I would check to see if the History is being saved with the document. File > Save History with Document should be unchecked. After that I would want to know if there are any fonts causing problems. How many fonts are on the MacBook and are any of them old school PostScript type 1 fonts. Are any of them Variable or Coloured Fonts? The Affinity suite does not work with them.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

23 hours ago, amealz said:

I've worked with much larger documents on Publisher with no issue. (...)

And when I open Publisher, it's super slow just to open (before I even select my file to work with)

Have you tried Save-As with a different file name?

So it's not (only) a specific .afpub, but APub itself that causes problems and also affects other .afpubs that worked fine before?

Are they possibly corrupted leftovers in your APub user library folder, respectively in "autosave" and "temp" if APub is closed? If yes, remove them and launch APub again, if it starts normally create a new .afpub to see if an empty document works as expected.

If you don't experience this issue with other .afpubs you could try to narrow down a possible culprit within the affected document, for instance by deleting objects + save as copy. This could be text / text styles (respectively fonts as mentioned by Old Bruce), or complex text wrappings or pinned objects, or an issue with a placed resource (linked or embedded), … etc.

If you like upload this or any affected .afpub to the forum for closer investigation.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 1 month later...

I've been told this is a problem with Affinity Publisher on the M1 chipset. With repeated saves, the save file grows huge. I suspect it's some corruption in the way it handles images in the document.

Using the resource manager to switch external assets to embedded and back to linked generally fixes the issue - for a while.

I've literally just come to the forum to ask if there are any plans to fix this bug. It's getting very annoying.

On 7/6/2022 at 9:49 AM, Lukc666 said:

I've been told this is a problem with Affinity Publisher on the M1 chipset. With repeated saves, the save file grows huge. I suspect it's some corruption in the way it handles images in the document.

Using the resource manager to switch external assets to embedded and back to linked generally fixes the issue - for a while.

I've literally just come to the forum to ask if there are any plans to fix this bug. It's getting very annoying.

Do you have a source/reference?

We almost only use M1 macs here, so that kind of problem would be a dealbreaker.

/Eddie

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2022 at 1:37 AM, Customer Feedback said:

Do you have a source/reference?

We almost only use M1 macs here, so that kind of problem would be a dealbreaker.

/Eddie

Mmm, a moderator commented on the issue when I brought it up some months earlier.

I didn't have the issue on an Intel mac, but it showed up when I got a new M1 mac.