You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to make a blackletter caligraphy "parallel pen" style brush that can be used as a stroke for curves? (Designer or Photo)

I've been trying to achieve something that seems like it should be simple but I can't make it work. I want a brush that works like a calligraphy parallel pen - the brush tip is basically a 45 degree angled line that's always oriented the same direction regardless of which direction the path of the stroke goes. It would be even cooler if I could adjust the rotation of the brush as a dynamics-curve but I can't even get the basic idea to work so I haven't thought about that yet. I've been trying to get it to work in either Designer (preferably) or Photo but I can't get it in either. I can make something approximately right with a "square" brush in Photo but it can only be used as a raster brush and can't be applied as a stroke to a curve. I'm on pretty old versions of both programs so there may be new features I'm not aware of.

Here's an example of someone doing exactly what I want in Illustrator (starts drawing at 2:18). Notice that no matter which direction his stroke is in the brush stamps the shape in the same orientation so drawing straight down yields a thick line with a tilted end, while drawing SW to NE yields a narrow line:

I've tried using a 45 degree tilted thin rectangle as a "textured image brush" and a "textured intensity brush" in Designer but both brushes stretch, distort, or rotate the image in weird ways. I just want a brush that stamps the same shape in the same rotation continuously to form a line regardless of stroke direction. Surely it must be possible. Thanks for your help everyone.

This works as pixel persona image brush. Doesn't work as vector brush.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Currently there is no way to do this with the Brushes for Vectors. The only way to do this is to use Pixel art and make a brush in the pixel persona.Start with a basic round brush and use the brushes More Pane to change the shape to an extremely narrow oval. Now use the Rotation to set the thin angle.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

14 minutes ago, qendl said:

Is there no way to use it as a stroke along a pen tool curve then?

No, "a stroke along a pen tool curve" is a vector. What I and NotMyFault are talking about is a brush for Pixel work. 

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

10 minutes ago, qendl said:

Surprised you can't do this.

You are not alone.