You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Change the colour of the ice cream scoop

I would like to create 3 separate ice cream with a different scoop colour each (colours of the Italian flag) while maintaining the same texture

One ice cream with a green scoop

One ice cream with a white scoop

One ice cream with a red scoop

Ice cream.png

Select the ice cream and use "Recolour" adjustment.

Three colour icecream.png

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Another way to get better colours would be an HSL adjustment layer to turn the icecream white...
image.png.6913e82a1588283ad9264a093ca076e4.png

The green and red colours can be sampled colours on pixel layers and the blend mode of each pixel layer set to Colour Burn.

image.png.52bea8d5c6c85b32b7887afb1afff77c.png

image.png.d6f99389cc2459241f7f94da2f695f0d.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

The green and red colours can be sampled colours on pixel layers and the blend mode of each pixel layer set to Colour Burn.

firstdefence I created the the first ice cream according to the your first screenshot using the same values

Hue 0° Saturation -100% Luminosity 31 %

but I was not able to create the red and green ice cream.

can you please explain to me in more detail how you created those red and green colours

did you use the HSL adjustment?

what values did you use?

I don't know the meaning of "The green and red colours can be sampled colours on pixel layers"

A note from me. I would check also other Blend Modes. The green scoop doesn't look good, I think, because the highlights are too blue. They shouldn't be so much saturized anyway, I think. Usually "Colour" should be a good choice, because it only recolours the greyscales, without affecting the saturation and lightness. But I haven't tested it yet.

26 minutes ago, anemos said:

firstdefence I created the the first ice cream according to the your first screenshot using the same values

Hue 0° Saturation -100% Luminosity 31 %

but I was not able to create the red and green ice cream.

can you please explain to me in more detail how you created those red and green colours

did you use the HSL adjustment?

what values did you use?

I don't know the meaning of "The green and red colours can be sampled colours on pixel layers"

You can take the colours from your flag by using the pipette of the "Colour" panel. Drag it with the mouse onto the colour of the flag you want and release the mouse button. Then the small circle on the right side of the colour panel should have adapted the colour. Click on it to choose it as Foreground Colour and then fill the selection with it. Of course on a separate layer.

By the way, I would feather the selection just a little bit (depending on the image size/resolution, maybe 2 or 3 pixels or maybe even a little more). The edge looks a little too hard for me.

I don't know if you really need the HSL Adjustment in this case.

To expose the colour to the image, choose a Blend Mode for the layer with the Colour. As I wrote in my last post, check if "Colour" does it. If not, check the others.

iconoclast thank you very much for your advice

what tool or brush do you use to fill the selection?

I know how to sample a colour with the pipette but I don't know how to apply that colour to my ice cream scoop

do you use the flood fill tool ?

I am not very familiar with the Affinity Photo tools because I only use it a few times

32 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

Click on it to choose it as Foreground Colour and then fill the selection with it. Of course on a separate layer.

Yes, the Flood Fill Tool (that one with the bucket).

One additional annotation: If you recolour the scoop by using the Blend Mode "Colour" (I recently tested it, and I would prefer it in this case), desaturate the scoop for it first. That was it what also firstdefence did with the HSL Adjustment (Sorry, didn't notice it at first). Only drag the "Saturation"-slider to zero. Otherwise the original colour would mix up and falsify the result. But if you expose the original colours of the flag with the "Colour" Blend Mode to a pure greyscaled scoop, you will get the true scales of the flag-colours.

Thanks for helping in my absence @iconoclast been busy at work.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 minutes ago, anemos said:

and thank you first defence for helping me out

You're welcome.

I've been doodling lol!
image.png.d22284f0245ef24c90008b5265325c68.png