You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I cut shapes keeping fill in place? (like a raster)

I'm trying to do destructive joins to cut shapes that have a gradient fills...1045388945_ScreenShot2022-05-31at10_50_34AM.thumb.png.333f747a01efe438c2e41d63da9ae492.png

But when I do, the fill adjusts to the new coordinates:

1203825561_ScreenShot2022-05-31at10_56_59AM.thumb.png.0a6b9cd0f1a5dd82a13b31d760e6bb40.png

The fill of the shape is the reason I'm cutting the shape, copying the style of the shape with the fill would paste the fill adjusted for the new shape too.

I tried compound shapes but didn't quite work – I need to apply some layer blending afterwards. Fortunately, this is a super easy shape I can just edit the nodes manually to get it while keeping the fill in place but in a more complex case, how could I cut join shapes maintaining the fill of the end result in place?? (The bottom shape's, right?)

This is more o less the desired result:

1667964229_ScreenShot2022-05-31at11_34_37AM.thumb.png.b1392754b7d4a31642e11d062553bec0.png

Thanks.

Edited by vitaprimo

There's a couple of ways you could approach this. The first would be to used the node tool to create additional nodes on the shape (converted to curves) you want to cut and then use the 'Break Curve' tool to break the curve, thus creating two separate (unclosed) fragments. You could simply use the 'Close Curve Tool' to the right of the 'Break Curve' tool to close the shapes.

The second way would be using the 'Divide' tool which would divide the shapes along connecting edges allowing you to pull apart the separate closed shapes while retaining the style properties of the original objects.

I've attached a video below to demonstrate.

Thanks for answering and thank you for all the effort of making a video, that's awesome.

I couldn't watch it though, Firefox says something about MIME extensions, Chromium browsers just loop forever. But, what I did was close to the first one, using the second shape and the highest snapping settings, I created new nodes on the intersections, then just deleted the rest. I stay away from breaking curves because I can NEVER get it right. "Cutting" shapes is easier, and adding shapes fixes the mess that diving shapes creates in the nodes, option 2. Nodes are crossed off at extreme places, not where you'd expect them so when you move them things bend out of shape very quickly. I'm hope I'm making any sense.

I'll try again the video as soon as the player finishes compiling. I forgot to add "--cask" in the brew command. 🙄

It's just an MP4 file… as I see you're using brew I assume you're on a Mac. It works for me in Safari, but in Chrome I'm seeing it just playing the loading animation.

DUDE!

I watched the video and patiently young padawanned it, and I got it!

1789204896_ScreenShot2022-05-31at12_06_35PM.thumb.png.78338d8ed32f86e180f177619ebca3e1.png

I'm like in serious debt to you. I played around with the open shape and got better sense of it now.

I still staying away from divide, though.

Thanks a million!

4 minutes ago, Bryan Rieger said:

It's just an MP4 file… as I see you're using brew I assume you're on a Mac. It works for me in Safari, but in Chrome I'm seeing it just playing the loading animation.

Yeah… Safari was my favorite browser until it got all naggy—certificates specially, then they killed extensions to monetize them through the store killing dev support with it and I never moved past Mojave because of the closed system and actually went back to High Sierra* so Safari is really outdated now. It's starting to become blocked on some websites.

*. to get useful features back, but speaking to a designer, Finder windows have a thumbnail slider that was removed later on. Thumbnail sizes can still be adjusted in regular Finder windows but it's a step extra in the ⌘J window (I forgot its name) but in the Open dialog, where it matters the most, the option is completely gone.