You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problems with exporting any gradient curves in PDF, EPS, or SVG.

Hi there!

I'm having a problem to exporting curves. Those curves are all created in Affinity Designer as well, even so, while exporting, they turn to pixel (if I force them to be vectors in the options (rasterize> nothing) it turns deformed, otherwise, they turn to pixels (rasterize> unsupported properties), but, why unsupported? They are all gradient curves created in the Affinity Designer, step by step. Please, help to fix this issue, or give some tips if you can, everything would be nice.

Image 1 - PDF - pixaleted: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W4OIZpcagi3uWQ9mk9I1b3CR9QMEH5M6/view?usp=sharing

Image 2 SVG deformed curves: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W62Sf2IVrpT6GaGyRkrEtCmr5lcZU0LH/view?usp=sharing

Image 3 - EPS rasterized: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W75evX9j2mz6Tr614i4X-N9FHOEvnGQE/view?usp=sharing

The same happens to all formats, pixel or deformed curves, these are the options.

It should be like: image.png.d024aa860b5f69222cc970de43c85d7c.png

im2.JPG.e85dcf7c8cac3b7550f04b198a289ef9.JPGim1.JPG.d40f22ad2ae0a15ed87d83d445b068a8.JPGim3.JPG.31850c94720455cd97251c5b55e13ef1.JPG

Edited by David Mudesto
tags, one more image

• Staff

Hi @David Mudesto

Please could you attach a copy of the affinity file so we can try to replicate this issue, if you do not want to share the file publically then we can supply a private dropbox link to upload it to. 

Hello @EmT I am here representing a client that uses your products, we have recently updated Affinity Designer from 1.8.5 due to some stability issues with documents to 1.10.5, it has solved the stability issues but now we're having similar problems described in this thread (I have also tried 1.10.1 and it has the same issue).

Essentially exporting to PDF or SVG always exports wrong colors with gradients, I have included a document you can experiment with that only has public information and an example of the issue exported to PDF.

We would go back to 1.8.5 but some documents have already been started with 1.10.5 and they do not open on older versions so we really need this fixed, it's a very common use case for this client. We're currently getting around it by exporting to PDF flattened but that is not a long term solution in any way, it loses quality, the ability to select text and the file is huge.

Here's an example of how it should look like (flattened and in Affinity Designer):

image.png.9ee006cd655a0e7ba22e176ecf00c562.png
And here's how it looks exported to PDF normally without flattening:
image.png.db62143ea9e263b2177b988b49deef4c.png
As you can see the colors are completely wrong and sometimes it even export partially right and partially wrong like the thread author's example.

Hope you can help.

PDF EXPORT FLATTENED.pdf PDF EXPORT FOR PRINT.pdf DOCUMENT WITH ISSUES.afdesign

@Bruno Alves

The problem seems to be with the gradients. How were they made? I find that I cannot change the colour of the stops.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

@Bruno Alves

The problem seems to be with the gradients. How were they made? I find that I cannot change the colour of the stops.

I asked and it doesn't seem to be anything special, we can change the color just fine like this:

image.thumb.png.7d311ae1eaabaf4974e8bc5fb00dfe81.png

Select one of those dots and you can change the color.

23 minutes ago, Bruno Alves said:

Select one of those dots and you can change the color.

I tried using the Gradient tool. I had to change the type of fill to something else then back to Linear in order to change the colours using the Gradient tool. After I had change this using the Gradient tool I could export with no problems.

Regardless, the screenshot of the gradient being edited should look like this

998789732_ScreenShot2022-06-03at10_28_49AM.png.8f98f04f533192c72e55ba1480c504e4.png

not this

1016320247_ScreenShot2022-06-03at10_29_09AM.png.9845d312a58f01f8eae745d75534febd.png

So I have to ask again, were the gradients made in designer or were they copy and pasted from some other application or document?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 6/3/2022 at 6:33 PM, Old Bruce said:

So I have to ask again, were the gradients made in designer or were they copy and pasted from some other application or document?

Hello again, I have been told it is possible it has been imported from an Adobe product years ago but whoever might have done it isn't in the team anymore so it's hard to confirm.

These pieces are often reused because most shapes are already made, so they have been copied from other Affinity documents multiple times.