You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Having trouble pasting and moving a selection from another image

Hi, sorry to be asking a question that probably shouldn't be as difficult as i am making it...

I am working on an image in Affinity Photo.

Then i made a selection of another lower-resolution image, Cut it, and Pasted that selection into a New Layer of my image.  Of course when I pasted my selection, it showed up as smaller because it was from a lower-resolution image.  I was hoping to use the Move tool to make my pasted selection larger, rotate it, and position it near the bottom of my image. 

However, there is what seems like an arbitrary blue-line frame on my pasted layer -- whenever my pasted selection passes outside of that frame, that portion of the selection disappears and does not come back.  It's almost as if the size of the layer were smaller than the size of the image itself.  I've searched through the help to find out how to resize a layer, but I can't figure out what is going on.

I've attached the file; I'm trying to reconstruct the bottom portion of the image by moving the pasted fragment into position.
Thanks for any help you can give me!

MrMoran4b.afphoto

Simply choose Select > Deselect (Cmd+D) before attempting to move the small image-within-the-image … this “arbitrary” blue bounding box encloses an active selection around your whole image. After deselecting, you can just grab, move, resize, and rotate the small image to complete your reconstruction (see below).

Hope that helps …  :)

Alex

post-1198-0-08028700-1450600150_thumb.png

post-1198-0-62582600-1450600329_thumb.png

Thanks so much Alex!  That did the trick -- I had been struggling with selecting and deselecting but had never managed to get it quite right.  But I followed your advice and it went well.  I guess I need to learn about Active Selections now.